• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Peanut Butter?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I popped open my valve cover and saw this peanut butter looking substance inside. I'm thinking it may just be spoiled grease that I use to seal the valve cover to the head. Any ideas?
DSC_0077a.jpg

The only thing that's changed is that I started using Marvel Mystery Oil this past year. Maybe it's how it interacted with the grease?

BTW - I'm definitely a believer in Marvel. Cold compression test before: 160/150/150/165. Cold Compression test after: 160/170/160/180. Might also have something to do with me getting better at making my valve adjustments.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Probably more like condensation that's not getting a chance to evaporate. Has it been idling a lot? Have you taken it out for a "spirited" drive lately? How's your engine temperature?

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
Sounds like moisture to me as well. I am a big fan of 'Marvel' as well and have never seen it react as you describe. Hopefully it is condensation from a lack of engine temperature getting warm enough to evaporate the moisture because the only other idea would be a head gasket leak between water and oil galleys or a cracked head / block.

zabond

Country flag
Look's a bit flaky to be condensation to me, soak a bit up on paper towel, if it spreads all over its condensation, if it stays solidified its grease or ?
Russ

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
It stayed solid and I could scoop with a screwdriver. Condensation is likely as the car hasn't seen much action since before Christmas other than firing it up and letting it idle for a bit.

2018 was kind of a disappointment as I only put about 600 miles on the car for the year, where in previous years, I would put close to 2,000 miles on the car. Mother Nature had a lot to do with that as rain was near constant last year in the D.C. area. Hoping 2019 will be better.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A few years ago I changed the oil in the Beetle and after a short drive found "peanut butter" around the filler cap and neck. After a near panic, I finally remembered there is no water around an air-cooled engine. Like yours, it was just excessive condensation.