• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey Prices

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
What the heck is happening to the sale prices on our cars? I have noticed
they have been going down and down. Didn't buy mine in order to sell it
but this is worrisome. I see a nice 65 on Ebay struggling at 10 grand.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just saw in the August edition of Hemmings that a nice (#2+) BJ7 was a DNS at Bonhom's/Scottsdale in January at NO RESERVE! It didn't say what bidding started at--is that a minimum, or will they go lower if no bidders?--but it appears nobody offered anything for a decent BJ7.

A '58 100-6 (BN4?) went for $30,800.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It seems to me that 100s and BJ8s are still strong with 100Ms still fetching stupid money. Condition is very important for top money and the cars with needs that have been poorly repaired are not doing as well as they once did. Having bought both my cars over 30 years ago and with no intention of selling, I don't have any skin in the game. But it seems the aging of the demographic of classic car owners is a major worry for car values as well as marque club participation.

OP
D

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
Never said buy it now price. The bids are up to 20 grand with 1 day left. So I'm happy
to be wrong (for the first time). LOL !!!!!!!!!!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I was in Scottsdale at Barrett, Gooding and Russo. There was a very nice BJ7 at Russo that went for $50k.

I watched the auction at Gooding for a couple of hours and every car went for less than the estimate range. Including a 1953 Ferrari Vignale 250LM with racing provenance.

Barrett-Jackson was a disappointment. Every Stingray and Mustang in North America was there. Huge, though.

Saw maybe 5 Healeys at those three auctions out of, say, 2200 cars.

My Ferrari-owner buddy Dennis said prices overall were quite soft.

D

Deleted member 21878

Wow, that is funny. i was at the Mecum Kissimmee auction and i thought i saw every Stingray in North America.... C1's and C2's everywhere. Crazy.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Condition is very important for top money and the cars with needs that have been poorly repaired are not doing as well as they once did. Having bought both my cars over 30 years ago and with no intention of selling, I don't have any skin in the game. But it seems the aging of the demographic of classic car owners is a major worry for car values as well as marque club participation.

Good points!

OP
D

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
I'm not so sure I was wrong after all. Remember when Model A's were the big thing? Well,
the old car prices are proportional to who want them. Right now we got the bucks and
when we were young we wanted Vets, Ferrari's, and Healeys. We gotta face it fellas,
were are slowly heading tho the great race track in the sky, and the kids now days want
a souped up Mazda or Honda. Yea, there will always be a market for "our" cars but not
quite like it is now. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yea, there will always be a market for "our" cars but not
quite like it is now. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

If my experience in tracking BJ8s is worth anything, the market for Healeys now is not in the USA or Canada, but in Europe and Australia. That's where most of them turn up next, especially those being sold by dealers.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm not so sure I was wrong after all. Remember when Model A's were the big thing? Well,
the old car prices are proportional to who want them. Right now we got the bucks and
when we were young we wanted Vets, Ferrari's, and Healeys. We gotta face it fellas,
were are slowly heading tho the great race track in the sky, and the kids now days want
a souped up Mazda or Honda. Yea, there will always be a market for "our" cars but not
quite like it is now. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Big rhetorical question/decision for me. I inherited a couple classics--'65 Mustang conv., a '55 T-Bird and a '46 Chevy 2-ton truck--from my dad. Do I keep them for 'posterity'--none of dad's grandsons are 'car guys'--or let them go now when I can still get decent money for them? On top of looking after my mother, helping to farm the ranch and keeping my Healeys going I've got my hands full. The Mustang and T-Bird appear to be going down in sales prices every year. I'll probably keep the truck as we do use it for hauling stuff occasionally (it would be the easiest to sell; women adored it, and a CHP officer gave me a thumbs up once).

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What the heck is happening to the sale prices on our cars? I have noticed
they have been going down and down. Didn't buy mine in order to sell it
but this is worrisome. I see a nice 65 on Ebay struggling at 10 grand.

Well I ran on to a dealers site recently ,but did not book mark it where the prices for 66 / 67 BJ8s were in the stratosphere of 60 to0 90K. that is a bit rich for my blood N two is all I can stand.

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
It looks like the seller ended the listing, doesn’t look like it sold for that price. I bet a buyer and the seller agreed on a price, then the seller ended the auction.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It looks like the seller ended the listing, doesn’t look like it sold for that price. I bet a buyer and the seller agreed on a price, then the seller ended the auction.
I thought that too at first glance, but the one that shows up most prominently didn't sell, it's the one that is still available. The one that sold is the small photo above it.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I was thinking along those lines, too, but never quite found anything like that happening before and it does not show it ending prematurely (or does it?). Can't seem to prove or disprove dealer/buyer negotiated further about it. Left scratching my head on this one.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The following link is a 67 that sold for a pretty good price, given the condition and is an all numbers matching. What am I missing from this one?? I mean, is this value with condition the going rate? Did someone get lucky in buying this? I'm lost on this one. Help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Austi...ash=item3fb73bc5e6:g:7Q4AAOSw3T5cPP5P&vxp=mtr

I really doubt that car sold for $32k. Here's the car listed by a dealer and it looks in excellent shape: https://vintageracecarsales.com/portfolio-view/1967-austin-healey-3000-mkiii-bj8-phase-three/ I doubt a dealer is going to let that car go for that price and would have set a reserve much higher. There's so many games played with eBay auctions I wouldn't take any of the results there as gospel.