• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lousy Internet service

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
In our rented unit here, we have Frontier DSL. Terrible. half the time, we can't get on or the green modem light goes out and we lose our connection. Mention Frontier down here and everybody makes a face. They took over from Verizon and things went downhill from there. Repairman comes next Friday. I need this service for my job and can't abide the dropped Internet every day. I could see problems with wifi, but with an Ethernet cable, we never had any problem in the 6 years we rented here until this winter.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's my understanding that Hughesnet is available pretty much anywhere you can put up an antenna with a view of the sky towards their satellite. If you have to have Internet for your job, you might want to consider having two services to reduce downtime.

To my way of thinking, DSL is smoke and mirrors compared to WiFi. DSL runs a high speed signal down wires that weren't intended to even carry all of the audio frequencies, let alone up to a MHz. Never could get it to work right at my house, they gave up after a year or so.

Even our POTS (plain old telephone service) was pretty bad. Apparently all of the wires ran through a junction box at the end of our block, that filled with water when it rained!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - we had good phone service here (Southern New England Telephone) until they were bought by Frontier. Disaster followed. Missed calls and messages, disconnects, wrong numbers (when the correct number was dialed), and really screwed up double and triple billing. After six months I switched to Spectrum for TV/phone/net. Never a problem with connection now.

Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When we were relying on a modem for internet constant problems also noise on the phone line. So I took an interest in the Junction box at the end of the road. The road has only been here for 30 years so it was not very old. I noticed a guy working in the box one day so I stopped to ask him about the noises on the line. I was expecting to see a neat layout of wires in there. Boy was I surprised. I have seen neater piles of scrap wire. It was just a jumble of wires ant the guy was using a pair of needle nose pliers to find a line by running the pliers up and down the connection.
Changed over to cable internet as soon as it was available.

David

It's my understanding that Hughesnet is available pretty much anywhere you can put up an antenna with a view of the sky towards their satellite. If you have to have Internet for your job, you might want to consider having two services to reduce downtime.

To my way of thinking, DSL is smoke and mirrors compared to WiFi. DSL runs a high speed signal down wires that weren't intended to even carry all of the audio frequencies, let alone up to a MHz. Never could get it to work right at my house, they gave up after a year or so.

Even our POTS (plain old telephone service) was pretty bad. Apparently all of the wires ran through a junction box at the end of our block, that filled with water when it rained!

Country flag

Kind of funny to me you say that you had problems withthe box filling up. Had the exact sameissue
here a couple years ago. When it rained the service would go out shortly after it started, andresume
an hour or two after it quit. My service provider basically told me I wasimagining it. Eventually when
I had another issue with the wire coming into the housethe guy who was looking at that took a look when I asked and found itleaked. Once fixed, that at least hasn’tbeen a problem since.