• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The story of the Jet engine

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - that is a really good film.

Another interesting - and sad - story of government engineering versus private engineering - the R100 and R101. Nevil Shute tells the story in his 1954 book "Slide Rule".

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The story of the R101 disaster was also very compellingly told in an 18 minute long song by none other than Iron Maiden as the last track on the Book Of Souls album.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Of course Barnes Wallis had a similar time getting most o his stuff passed the Ministry of defense.
I believe I read somewhere that Barnes Wallis questioned one of the officers that had rejected his bouncing bomb idea why he had turned it down. The reply was "I get 100 ideas of which only 1 is good so if I turn them all down I only make 1 mistake"

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Great book.
I have read it several times.
Reading his Wikipedia entry I think I have read all his books

David

David - that is a really good film.

Another interesting - and sad - story of government engineering versus private engineering - the R100 and R101. Nevil Shute tells the story in his 1954 book "Slide Rule".

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nice that he was finally recognized (first in the USA and finally in the UK).