• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

John Haynes RIP

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
RIP John. Sometimes his books were actually better than the factory manual. At the shop I worked at we had a fairly decent library of manuals and Haynes manuals made up the bulk of it.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The pictures in the Haynes books are always helpful. I've generally bought the Haynes and the factory book for every old car (and bike) I've owned. Between the 2 you've got enough info for pretty much any job.

Didn't realize that the Bugeye Sprite was his first manual. I've got the recent version on my shop bookshelf, ready for my next Bugeye task.

RIP John.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have the Haynes manuals for several cars I have owned. Somehow I kept the books even though the cars are long gone. When I bought herself the current Saab, there were no Haynes or other manuals listed anywhere. I phoned Haynes and found they published one in Europe. For just a few dollars they sent me one and it is probably the most detailed and best illustrated of any I have. And it is a hard cover too. RIP John and thank you.

Country flag
One thing with many manuals is they tell you what to do, but not necessarily how to do it. Was doing some work once to replace a starter and I couldn't figure out how to get one of the bolts out. The manual of course just said remove the bolts and withdraw the starter. Took me a while to figure out there was a plug in the transmission tunnel and you have to reach through from the passenger side with a couple feet of extensions to reach the one bottom bolt...

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Like many English enthusiasts of the period, John Haynes started his car career with Austin Sevens. I have a copy of his very first piblication, Building a 750 Special. Typewritten, hand drawn, stapled on rough paper. First product of a publishing empire!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RIP indeed, though I can't help but feel like there is a really good joke somewhere here. (remember the track the founder of Ikea had to follow to get to heaven?)

Best shot so far. Exit is reverse of entering. (feeble but a start) :grin:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
R.I.P John Haynes.

I have used many of his books over the years. Always found them to be a great help. As others have said his books were often much clearer than the works book.

David