• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Over 5300 downed

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hellcat recorded air kills in the Pacific during WW-II.

Grumman Ironworks. Heroe pilots.

Now AMC is running what they call "Camera Martyrs of Vietnam."

Sorry, I knew and served with those who either died or were shot down and pulled out during that "conflict." Three of them were friends and co-workers.

My luck is that I never got hit.

"LIFE" magazine and media photogs got credit, called in that production the 'unsung heroes.' That's very nice.

We got eggs and tomatoes thrown at us on our return to "the world." And vilified as baby killers in the ensuing years.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is not to diminish or denigrate what the media photogs did, rather to ask WHY the folks in service; Navy, Air Force, Marines and Army who carried cameras AND weapons haven't had recognition they deserve.

I have utmost respect for ANYONE who sticks their a*s out to record events during lethal conflicts, they're a special breed... but there were more doing it than media contributors. Some did it out of a dedication to Country.

Signed the contract.

...just sayin'...

And as honor and omage to one civilian: Dickie

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There were a lot of very unfortunate aspects to that un-war. Lack of respect by a few for the servicemen who came back is just one of them.

But if you want to know why, I suggest you look up My Lai, and Phan Kai Kim Phuc, and Mary Ann Vecchio. Those were the faces of the war, to many of those stateside (who had perhaps otherwise not paid a lot of attention). Not fair, not right, but that's what happened.

Kent State was obviously an aberration, but it appears that the others were not
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23427726

I'll also point out that many of those who fought in Vietnam were forced to sign that contract, under duress. Not even old enough to vote against the politicians that led us into that particular swamp, they were nonetheless forced to fight or be prosecuted as draft dodgers, deserters or traitors.

I'll never forget the shock of seeing that infamous photo of an (at the time) anonymous girl running down the road naked. Reading the caption about the napalm brought a very real sense of shame at the things my country was doing to others. It still does.

Yeah, just sayin ...

Last edited: