• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gus and the Model Garage

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
How many of our "old car" lovers remember the old "Practical Science" magazine from the late '40's and '50's? One of the features each month was a little story about small town car owners
who had problems with their old cars--some post war and some prewar--No matter what the problem was, they ended up at the "Model Garage" of Gus Wilson--They were cute stories--2 or 3 pages long--and Gus always figured out what the problem was and how to fix it--Frankly, I don't see how he stayed in business--lot of free advice and 4 bucks to replace 4 spark plugs.
Of course in 1949 or so--spark plugs only cost 50 cents apiece or so--I was in high school 1949 to 1953--and could always spare 15 cents from my lunch money for the magazine each month-
I just read them and threw them away--(Which I did with my MAD Magazines--which was a mistake since original Mad Magazines in pristine conditions sell now for hundreds of dollars!)

However one of the advantages of my being 83--i can go on ebay and buy all these back issues (generally some one will be selling 15 or 20 in bulk for maybe 20 bucks or so plus shipping).
So, I have probably 60 or 80 back issues of Practical Science"--50 or 80 issues of Mechanix Illustrated--And i don't remember anything about them!--

I also have other interests, and buying back issues on ebay is great! I am working on 2 Nash Metropolitans right now--one mine, and one for a friend--so when I need a break, I brew up a
cup of coffee, and peruse one of my old mags!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mechanix Illustrated, Mimi.

Wholly carp!! I'd completely lost memory of Mimi.

Mebbe I subliminally recalled Mechanics Illustrated when I dubbed Mitsy: "Wrench Wench"?!?

...I'd post a photo but then I'd be, umm... *unhappy* :smirk:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hoo Boy. I've already got stacks of old magazines, including PS and MI, on the shelf. Read all of them at least once.

Now I've got a directory with 532 "Gus Wilson" stories to read!

Thanks, Tom (I think) !

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hoo Boy. I've already got stacks of old magazines, including PS and MI, on the shelf. Read all of them at least once.

Now I've got a directory with 532 "Gus Wilson" stories to read!

Thanks, Tom (I think) !

You're very welcome! Those Gus stories will keep you reading for months!

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the link to the Gus stories I liked reading them years ago. They are like short stories, which I much preferred to the horrendous works of literature I was supposed to read (but refused) in high school.

OP
H

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the link to Gus stories--I knew it was out there somewhere! I saw on ebay (?) a softbound book of all the Gus stories--but is was sold--and no reprints available--I'm a retired Airline Pilot--
So I have over the years bought old copies of several aviation oriented magazines--WW2--and airline mags--then since I also served about Naval Ships--I bought collections of Naval Ship mags--Ham radio also.
the point being, I've collected them faster than I have been able to read and recycle--and storage is a problem--I tried to hide them under the bed, but that is where my wife's pet Rabbits sleep.
So lately I have been storing them in which ever Nash Metropolitan I'm not working on at the moment--We live in a very small house 900 sq feet, built in 1925--no storage anywhere--built in 1924, and
the owners since then (4), including me, didn't worry about storage--no Amazon--no ebay--no dedicated space for a computer--

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Something I learned the hard way : Don't store them in the garage rafters unless they are designed to support the load. The PO of this house had stuck a couple sheets of plywood up there, and I loaded them up with boxes of books when we moved in. Took quite a few years, but all of the overloaded rafters eventually snapped!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Randall, you've just given me bad dreams! :wink:

We've got boxes of books in the attic, boxes of metal car bits in the rafters of the garage. Now I gotta start checking the beams!