Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Tri-carb PCV valve

Quote Originally Posted by RAC68 View Post
    Hi Drone Dog,

Here is a writeup that presents what I had done to create a simple catch can (see shared link below). Although simplistic, it could be easily constructed and installed with the tube going to the air cleaner (in the picture) diverted to your copper manifold tube. Here is a picture of the mount used in my Healey (no modifications to anything).

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Attachment 57529

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx4...ew?usp=sharing
    Ray, Have you measured the oil collected by your catch can?
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Hi John,

Not really. The Oil Catch Can was created to satisfy the extraction of oil and condensed noxious gases PULLED from the engine's bowels by manifold vacuum force and needed to have sufficient displacement for an extended period of light driving or a long run. Since there was no documentation as to how much oil volume to plan for, I chose a conainor that would be easiest to position and would fit nicely in the limited space available for convenience.

The situation the catch can is in today is as an extraction point for the standard system. As such, rising contaminated oil vapor buildup is pulled with almost nonexistent force (if any) of carburetor vacuum through the air cleaner as originally designed. However, it does function and condensed oil is found on the mesh and, after an initial 3 month test, less then a teaspoon of oil was collected. No signs of any oil or sediment, in access of the normal light coating purposely placed on the filter, was found in the filter mesh or any part of the carburetor. Keep in mind that I did not seal any other escape points (i.e.
    oil cap, dip stick, etc.) but also never found any oil sediment around these either.

In the hopefully near future, If I find an appropriate PCV, I will put the original plan into action.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're worried about the pressue you could measure it by fitting a temporary T piece in the line and connecting a gauge or manometer. You can control the presurre by fitting a restictor in the line to the manifold connection. I did this for my MGTF. I drilled a small hole in a piece of round steel rod and rammed it into the pipe to the manifold. You may have to experiment a few times with diameter of the hole. I also fitted a flame trap from a Land Rover, this was filled with wire mesh and also helped stop oil from entering the manifold.
    AJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

i found a cross reference to the PV770 at NAPA. the part number is 29228. SO i got one yesterday. it may not matter but i figured others have had success with this valve so may as well keep it the same.

Bob,
    i also put a screw in the vent hole of the oil filler cap and made a seal for the dipstick. sounds like that is all that came in the kit, except for the valve and connections.

Ray,
    i looked at oil catch cans yesterday and i found one i think will work. the one i found i do not think i will have to do any changes to the inside. Found cheaper ones but not sure how they actually work. probably would need to do some mods to the inside of them. the one i found looks to be a better system and under 30 bucks.

the trick is finding a place to put it and not look out of place. mine, being a tri-carb, eliminates the spot you used. then figuring plumbing that won't stand out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Drone Dog,

Thanks for the NAPA PCV number 29228. I will purchse one to complete the original purpose for my catch can.

Ray(64BJ8P1)