• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

On this date

Basil

Administrator
Boss
On this date 152 years ago, Laura Ingalls Wilder was born.

Loved Little House. Wish there were more shows like that.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
No violence or X rated language! Society today won't allow a nice program like that to exist anymore! Why we only watch about 4 programs on TV out of 300+ channels, totally disgusted with TV programming anymore, we're actually thinking of dropping the satellite and going to a local channel setup, save $150.00 a month and if we want to watch a movie, we'll buy it on DVD.:encouragement:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No violence or X rated language! Society today won't allow a nice program like that to exist anymore! Why we only watch about 4 programs on TV out of 300+ channels, totally disgusted with TV programming anymore, we're actually thinking of dropping the satellite and going to a local channel setup, save $150.00 a month and if we want to watch a movie, we'll buy it on DVD.:encouragement:

And no explosions and car crashes!

Remember the days of the variety shows and the "Spectacular"? All in a one hour program: Soviet Army Chorus, Paris Ballet, Senor Wences, a scene from My Fair Lady, Marcel Marceau, Raymond Massey reading the Gettysburg Address, etc. The family sat all in the same room, watching a screen showing us things to think about, and/or to be proud of.

sigh

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Milton Berle and the Texaco Star Theatre! That's going back a couple years! 1948 t0 1956. :applause:

View attachment 57451

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You bunch of old Fogeys, give me Magnum P.I. or The Rockford Files any day.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Milton Berle and the Texaco Star Theatre! That's going back a couple years! 1948 t0 1956. :applause:

View attachment 57451

I watch a lot of "The Honeymooners" and "Dick VanDyke" on YouTube and things like Andy Griffith Show and StarTrek (the original) on other services. Little House and Highway to Heaven were two great shows from Michale Landon.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
And no explosions and car crashes!

Remember the days of the variety shows and the "Spectacular"? All in a one hour program: Soviet Army Chorus, Paris Ballet, Senor Wences, a scene from My Fair Lady, Marcel Marceau, Raymond Massey reading the Gettysburg Address, etc. The family sat all in the same room, watching a screen showing us things to think about, and/or to be proud of.

sigh

I have a DVD set of the old Red Skelton Show! I've ripped it into my iTunes collection!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
You bunch of old Fogeys, give me Magnum P.I. or The Rockford Files any day.

Hey, who are you calling an old fogey? You young whip snapper, I'll have you know I haven't lost a collar stay or gaiter in years!

curmudgeon.jpeg

harumph

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom is still reminiscing about those Shakespeare plays that premiered when he was a youngster. :angel2:

I was still in the cradle back then. When I got to my teenage years, I taught William and Mary how to schottische, and in adulthood learned punting from Lord Nelson.

You young'ns ...

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
There is stuff on now that blows away those old "variety shows". The Planet Earth series on BBC, How the Universe Works on SCI.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
We found the old Hoppalong Cassidy shows. Don't make them like that anymore. Also see the Have Gun Will Travel and the old Roy Rogers shows. Not as gory but still stepped up.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Roy,Dale,Pat,Trigger & Bulle
t....

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I still like the old variety shows. Different strokes.

Different Strokes was more a Sit Com. ;)
It really doesn't matter to me what people like to watch. I've worked in film and TV for 27 years. Most of what I watch are things I haven't worked on.:rolleye:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Greg said:
Most of what I watch are things I haven't worked on.:rolleye:

Understandable!

My childhood had me enthralled with Hoppy and Topper, Yancy Derringer, the Roy and Dale proggies, et al... tho' I do watch and enjoy the SCI channel programs as an adult, even though they are a bit condescending at times. Written for high school level folks, I assume.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Different Strokes was more a Sit Com. ;)
It really doesn't matter to me what people like to watch. I've worked in film and TV for 27 years. Most of what I watch are things I haven't worked on.:rolleye:

I can understand that. I think for me it's that I enjoy watching things that I watched as a kid - brings back memories.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The other facet: back in the '50s the family watched TV together. Now everyone chooses his/her own feed - and the social structure continues its decline.

(When I was a kid, I was totally head over heels in love in Dale Evans. I'd execute my pre-pubescent version of a swoon when she - or Annette Funicello - would appear on the screen.)

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The other facet: back in the '50s the family watched TV together. Now everyone chooses his/her own feed - and the social structure continues its decline.
I have heard that more families have both parents in the workforce now too. That might be a bigger contributor to the family structure.