• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Headlight Trim

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I was trying to fit the chrome head light trim but can not see how it clips on. There is a clip at the top and one on the bottom.

I gather there is a tool to get the rings off.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The thing at the top isn't a clip so much as a guide. The top edge of the ring should fit over a lip on the headlight bucket, then the bottom edge gets pushed back until it's tab engages with the clip on the bucket.
In this shot, the lower clip is partially broken, but you can see how the tab fits into the clip. I usually had to turn the tool around backwards, and use it to push directly on the tab to get it to pop into place.

The tool is very simple, just a flat strip of metal about 1/2" wide and 4" or 5" long, with a lip turned up at one end. TRF sells a reasonable reproduction fairly cheap; or you can make your own. An old PC I/O slot cover will work, too.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I have had to fight those many times. If I remember correctly, the ring also connects around the outside frame of the inner bucket and if the bucket is screwed too tight to the rubber gasket that holds it to the apron, especially if new, the fit is difficult and could be a problem to the paint. Again if memory serves, I would loosen the up the bucket from the rubber gasket just a little on the apron so there was a little bit of a gap then set the top and push down with both hands and on to the bottom. I have used some house hold wax to give everything a little gild also

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The last ones I got of that style were not made quite right. I had to trim the upper back edge just a bit to get them to sit down behind the lip on the bucket, so the bottom would line up properly.

Had a similar problem with the ones I have now, but of course they are the earlier screw on type.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
So the little piece that sticks up from the bottom of the ring is meant to clip into the catch that is broken in Randall's photo.

The catch does not seem to be very springy or the piece that sticks up is too wide to clip in.

Loosening the screws helped set the ring down lower and closer to the body line.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
David, the clip at the bottom is spring steel and can stand a little bending to make a better fit or you can get a new one from Moss and pop rivet it on.

Graham

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
It sounds like you have the later headlights with the adjusting springs. Moss sells that bottom clip and you would need to drill out and re-pop rivet. If some of the parts of the retainer plate are painted, the rim is difficult to fit also, paints too thick. The parts are pot metal or injector mold aluminum and should not rust too fast. But I see everything is new from Moss.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
P1010258.jpg
David
I got new buckets from Moss and I couldn't make them fit and they were very flimsy so I worked on the old originals, much better.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I spoke too soon. I replaced the rings that hold the sealed beams in not the buckets. It has been a while.

The buckets are original the Chrome rings are new but look identical to the old ones except they are shiny not pitted.

David

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I think Graham is correct +1 on working the old stuff. The fit is tight, so the little rims on the retainer, the clip and bucket have to be correct. I have not tried this, but I think an individual or group could use longer screws on the bucket at the rubber gasket and then leave the whole assembly maybe open 1/16 and then double nut the 3 screws and pull everything back from behind with the chrome ring in place. That would give a little more wiggle room to see the problem. But, again the area is scary to work on with force because of potential paint scratching.
steve

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Graham,Are the trim rings repro?I thought of replacing my originals but the repros seem very gappy almost like they also fit another car.To me I can spot them from 20 feet but when I mention it most dont seem to notice.

Tom

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tom, yes the trim rings are repo and they are quite good, the originals had a few missing parts like the top clip and rivet.

Graham

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Tom

The repo rings I have from Moss are the Classic Gold rings. Look well made and the chrome is good.

I did get one on finally. I took the sealed beam light out and got the ring to fit by filing the tang on the ring a bit. Then reassembled the light and the ring clipped right in.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Got the other one on. The clip on that side was closed up more. Was afraid to try to separate it in case it broke so I filed the peg to fit.

David