• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A KAS-Kilmartin outer sills with bow to match door

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I am happy to announce that the pair of KAS-Kilmartin outer sills part #TR009 have arrived. This is the outer sill for TS60000 on that has the bow in the door. When i first opened them and took a look they did not look bowed but once the sill was clamped to the inner sill the bow was obvious. The flange that welds to the inner sill is straight but the outside edge is bowed. The bow is between 3/32" and 1/8". I have repaired the bottom of my doors and fabricated new door skins. These sills match the bow of my doors very well. I did not have the outer sill to go by when I did the repair so i am satisfied that the bow in the door is correct. There is one area that i am not sure about. The notch for the door clearance when it is open is different from the roadster factory outer sill. I have a pair of them as well so I am not sure which is correct. The roadster factory sills are straight and would need modification or body filler to match the door. Now to cost, each outer sill cost $ 87.91 Australian and $75.82 Australian to ship to the states. For the lads in the US that is each $63.29 and shipping $53.38 so roughly $90 dollars each, that is double what the big three are getting for theirs. Is it worth it, I think so, it is a difficult part to make with all the folds and trying to get the bow in it. I ordered the parts because My car has nothing in the middle for a reference so I was looking for a part that i thought would help bring the front and back together with some accuracy.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 141

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If I could go back in time I would have got them. I spent a lot of time messing with the sills the PO had fitted and still ended up with some bondo. I also added a strip to the first step in the sill on both sides because the gap at the bottom of the door was too big. $90.00 would have been a deal.

David

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
+1 on David's comment. I am away from my shop so can't really comment on the notch except to say it looks right in the picture from my memory.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I think I would rivet the outer sill on and try and hang the door. The door rotation looks correct on the original one you have to me. My eyes are not good enough to see that little ¼ arch at the bottom of the door. However, I think where the little arc is going to come in play nice is where that little section of quarter panel by the stone guard is. The aftermarket outer rockers bulge out there 3/16 or maybe be bigger and look wrong. It looks like the ones you have pull back into the tub on that small section at the end of rocker where the door stops.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I was at the stage of needing my outer sills held in place temporarily but firmly while I fitted other stuff I used self tapping screws. Held the bottom edge with clamps.

David