• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

They Shall not Grow Old

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In my area it only played for one day and I was snowed in. Hope it returns sometime.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It only played on Dec. 17th and 27th here. It was very good.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Definitely worth the watch.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just got back from the theater. Very well done movie that does a great job of showing the horror and impact of that war. There is an extra 30-minute segment after the end credits roll where Peter Jackson describes some of the techniques they used to restore, colorize and add sound to the film.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Just saw it this evening. It was very good. I kind wish the extra 30 minutes had been first.
Unfortunately the opening remarks and the extra 30 minutes were not captioned so my wife missed out on those segments.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Too bad about her missing out on those extra segments. I thought most of the colorization was pretty good, but there were a few small parts where I thought the coloring, especially on faces, look a bit unnatural. Did you notice that at all? Overall though, considering the condition of some of the film to begin with, it was pretty remarkable (and beliveable).

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The version we saw was 3-D so we had the glasses on. Don't know if that effected the color or not. Nothing jumped out at me as being 'off'. I agree it was a remarkable job they did considering the quality and speed of the film they were working with.

Country flag
I've read in the past that as far as colorizing is concerned flesh tones are the hardest to get looking right due to the subtle variations in color and I guess you'd say reflectiveness of skin.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I really enjoyed the extras. I kinda hope he winds up making a documentary about WWI aviation.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Saw it on December 17th. It's ESSENTIAL to also see the Peter Jackson documentary that follows it (which is another 30 minutes); it's truly amazing what they had to do to restore footage. Also, I highly recommend the 3D version (and I don't normally like the 3D effect, but this was excellent).

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Managed to catch this yesterday as it passed through and agree with everyone's comments. When the troops debarked in France, the film went from jerky B&W to 'normal' speed & color; the experience went from watching an interesting but familiar documentary to being something new and special. Peter Jackson's 'how we did it' at the end was great - Bring on the aviation version!

Jeff

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
As you know, Jackson explains why he selected what he did... but it would be great to get an aviation version.