• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Had a lovely experience yesterday

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mrs JP and I were the anniversary speakers at the church we served from 1990-2002. Weather was lousy - big snow and really cold weather so greatly diminished congregation. Still, at one point the current pastor asked the congregation - "How many of you were married by JP? And how many were baptized by JP?" a very very special moment to see how many hands went up.

:cheers:

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Nice to be appreciated like that, good on the current minister. My grandfather, grandmother and mother were all baptized, confirmed, married and buried (the church cemetery) at their country church. Don't know how often that happens anymore.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nice to be appreciated like that, good on the current minister. My grandfather, grandmother and mother were all baptized, confirmed, married and buried (the church cemetery) at their country church. Don't know how often that happens anymore.

My first church (which I preached for their 150th about 8 years ago) had only one Baptism Registry for their entire history. So, one of the last baptisms I did was registered in the same book as his great grandfather (who was still living then) and his great great grandfather. BTW that great grandfather, his brother and his father (the aforementioned Great great) had been Clerks of Session (one of the tasks of an elder) for 80 uninterrupted years

D

Deleted member 8987

"How many were buried by JP?"

Show of hands, please.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
"How many were buried by JP?"

Show of hands, please.

Probably many friends and neighbors. I think that would have to be the hardest thing about JP (and Mickey's) line of work. Not sure I could do it.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Probably many friends and neighbors. I think that would have to be the hardest thing about JP (and Mickey's) line of work. Not sure I could do it.

And sometimes an awesome privilege - both to be with people in times of great need and to be the announcer that says they won the race! and are home.

(Besides I would rather do 10 funerals to 1 wedding - fewer complaints :smile:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag