• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Linux Zorin

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hey guys, ever hear of the op system ZORIN? I'm trying it out on this machine. I believe it's based on a lot of UBUNTU software. Seems to work very well. PJ

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You're a brave man Paul. I found Mint at first. It worked for me and I haven't been brave enough to try anything else.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Mint is a nice OP system and I like it, but I have an old slower Toshiba laptop and experiment with different software on it before putting anything new in my other machines. Zorin is an easier transfer for the user from Windows to Linux, or both as it can be set up as a dual boot. Seems to work very well and can be pre-run to see if it's liked before an install. PJ

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I might have to look into Zoren. I am running Fedora on my home laptop and have been pretty happy with it for the past year or two but I have to admit Mint was handy in its layout and compatibility with Windows. My laptop is a dual boot system and it can sometimes be annoying not having compatibility between Windows and Fedora.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've never used the WINE app, I'll have to look into it. I'll admit that here lately I have just been using my desktop which is running Windows 7, so I haven't been messing with my Linux stuff much.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WINE app on Linux and wine app in bottles... the ultimate Dual Boot operating system! :thumbsup:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Zorin again, I had to pull it out as it had a corrupted file in it and just showed up. Might have picked it up while burning it to a disc from the University of Harvard. I'm going to burn another from another site. Never had a problem downloading from them before, might have been in the burning process, who knows. :rolleyes2: PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Does anyone find it even slightly odd that they would name a computer program after the guy who tried to wipe out silicon valley? (except for the timely intervention of James Bond)

:rolleyes:

zorin.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MIT had wireless comm a LONG time before it became what we have now. Clock towers and dorm rooms.

Paul! Check your PM's.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, after reading all the reports on Zorne being compared to other OP systems, Mint still comes out the best for ease of use and is supposedly faster than Zorne and it is. I compared the two side by side and mint 19 comes out much better. I have duel boot on my newest HP and mint is actually faster than the W-10 it came with. I'll keep W-10 in it for certain things, but Mint 19 is so much quicker jumping from one program to another and downloading, sooo saying that I'm back to Mint again. I'm not one for typing in commands anymore, I just want to push buttons and get it over with. The wife's Dell has W-10 in it and she refuses to try anything else, my Toshiba is strictly Linux.:encouragement:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I was watching a you tube video on Linux and they mentioned downloading it from a Repository. Any way to be sure you are getting it from a reputable site?

Mint was their recommendation for new users.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mint is a "quick-n-dirty" Linux version, great for anyone wanting a Winblows alternative. Linux is fast because it doesn't look at a load of ancillary files to decide what to do with a query. It just carries out the command given.

A quick look by Tech Republic.