• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other Wiper Motor [Early type DR2] Issue

Herald63nut

When switched on, the wiper motor in my '63 Herald causes the wiper blades to move an inch or so and then revert back to the starting position. I have checked the brushes and cleaned up the commutator. Suggestions as to next steps to address this issue will be most appreciated.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd check the tubing at the first wheelbox next. It may have come loose. I assume you already inspected the connecting link and gears inside the motor for any obvious damage.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm more familiar with DR3 motors, where the 'park' mechanism is in the dome, which has to be positioned at a certain spot for proper function. I think Heralds used DR3A motors, so maybe DR2 park wiring does not work correctly with the early DR2.

Jeff

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
According to the Lucas Overseas Technical Correspondence Course, the DR2 park works much the same as the DR3A. The main point is that all it does is keep the motor running for a time after the switch is turned off. It doesn't change how far the blades move.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I agree with Randall. Since they actually move both directions, I think your motor is rotating, but the outer cable is not holding the motion "in". Either the clamp on the motor drive section or the first wheelhouse is loose.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm with the others in that I agree it "sounds" as if your motor is functioning. Movement aside, does the motor shut off as expected?

I'd try removing the blades and see if that has any effect on how and how far the spindles move; also watch for any movement of the outer cable itself. You might even want to tuck yourself down in one of the footwells in such as way as you can try to see at least one of the wheelboxes on that side. I'd not be surprised if something has loosened up somewhere along the cable routing causing slipping or just lack of full-time total engagement. It also could be that there is a great deal of wear on the gears on both wheelboxes or even the cable itself, but that seems highly unlikely.

OP
H

Herald63nut

Andy,
Thanks again for the response. Once the weather here turns a bit warmer, I hope to get back to the wiper motor issue. That said, can you suggest where to find replacement wiper blades for the Herald? Thanks

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Andy,
Thanks again for the response. Once the weather here turns a bit warmer, I hope to get back to the wiper motor issue. That said, can you suggest where to find replacement wiper blades for the Herald? Thanks

I haven't had to replace any blades in several years. But the last time I did, I went to NAPA; they had very appropriate looking blades "on the rack"; they might have been some sort of "classic line" or similar? But they were right there, in 11" and / or 12" size and "correct" bright stainless (not plastic or flat black as so many modern blades are).