• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bread.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I cook almost all the bread we eat at home. Just started to make sour dough bread recently. I also make artisan bread. I do not like the taste of store bought bread.

Just before Christmas my wife who is a teacher (Bless her) of a kindergarten class bought a loaf of sliced bread for something in her class.
That loaf came home and sat on the counter not being used. Now we are at January 13 and the bread is just short of a month old and it seems soft and has no mold on it. What do they put in it to keep it so long.
My home made bread has mold on it if it is more than about 5 days old. It is hard by that time as well. It is usually eaten long before that anyway.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
"Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin and Cellulose Gum."

Mmmm, nothing like a good helping of Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin and Cellulose Gum after a hard day's work.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
How it should be cooked in my opinion. I do not always do it this way as it takes a bit of planning to get the oven at the correct temperature at the right time.

David

Bread in the brick oven.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mmmm tasty - when can we come?

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I will get the oven fired up. It is about 46 here with a high today of 54 and none of that snow stuff.

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I make my own biscuits but I haven't tried baking my own bread yet. I'll have to give that a go this weekend.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm thinking of using my loaf pan at first.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Our cat, Devon, who recently passed at over 20 years, was looking so frazzeled in is old age that we started calling him Keith Richards.

Beer... out me nosepipes... OUCH!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have to agree about all the "chemicals" in store bread. But you have to remember that chemicals aren't always bad. For example, it takes hydrogen and oxygen to make water, which is a vital ingredient in beer.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Right John. The stuff is everywhere.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Loved the "man in the street" vids with a guy out gathering signatures from folks (mostly college age) on a petition to ban the stuff. Hilarious!

Somehow, organic chemistry has escaped the curriculum.

And I really miss home-made Italian bread.