• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weather again

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Supposed to drive 5 hrs. to autotrain tomorrow in Lorton, VA. Wouldn't you know - after two weeks with no snow, they've got a blizzard down there and a State of Emergency in VA. Who knows what the road conditions will be like since in my experience, the further south you go, the worse the snow removal systems and horrible road conditions with 18-wheelers kicking up slush, etc. We can't even go early like we did two years ago when an ice storm was forecast (it came as rain only). Here in CT, it's just cloudy with maybe a flurry or two. If we miss the train...Anglia GT - how's it look down there? Anyone in the DC area?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Radar shows it's a mess down there this morning. If any way possible, I'd wait it out. PJ

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
By tomorrow it will be all cleared off the roads for your drive. 95 will certainly be clear. I think you will not have a problem.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Mickey.... In my mind I am already there :encouragement:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My son was set to fly from Chicago to Charolette last night but plane they were to fly was delayed 4 hours and they had to cancel (due to weather)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We got snow last night,but then we got freezing rain.
The main roads & the highway I take to work (581) were wet,
& driving wasn't a problem.I'd much rather drive on the snow
than slush,& I hate that they use salt (calcium chloride) on the
roads.
It's supposed to get up to 48 degrees on Tuesday,but will
be below freezing at night (all week).
It was 61 a few days back.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
We're getting a 1 - 2 punch. I'm about 25 miles north of D.C. I shoveled about 5 to 6 inches around noon today. The roads were clearing and things were looking up. Then more snow moved in later this afternoon and evening hit us with another 6 inches. Everything is closed tomorrow already.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Supposed to drive 5 hrs. to autotrain tomorrow in Lorton, VA. Wouldn't you know - after two weeks with no snow, they've got a blizzard down there and a State of Emergency in VA. Who knows what the road conditions will be like since in my experience, the further south you go, the worse the snow removal systems and horrible road conditions with 18-wheelers kicking up slush, etc. We can't even go early like we did two years ago when an ice storm was forecast (it came as rain only). Here in CT, it's just cloudy with maybe a flurry or two. If we miss the train...Anglia GT - how's it look down there? Anyone in the DC area?

If you get to the DC terminal and onto the train, at the other end Sanford is very likely snow free. :devilgrin:

Country flag
Had around 8" of heavy wet snow last weekend, expecting more probably this coming as well. Most we've had around here in the last 3 winters or so. Interesting thing, joined some others to clean couple of elderly folks out. Thing is, we were all in our 60s ourselves. Didn't see single kid or younger adult out doing their own, much less someone else's.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Had around 8" of heavy wet snow last weekend, expecting more probably this coming as well. Most we've had around here in the last 3 winters or so. Interesting thing, joined some others to clean couple of elderly folks out. Thing is, we were all in our 60s ourselves. Didn't see single kid or younger adult out doing their own, much less someone else's.

Mike - same thing here. You never see kids doing work outside (except adding muffler cut-outs ...). It's us old folks doing the snow shoveling, leaf raking, and lawn mowing.

Neighbor's 27 year old son "doesn't like outdoor work". Same for the four teens across the road.

Say, what did you use to remove that 8" of heavy wet snow? Shovel only, snow blower, tractor, or ...?

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Update. Easiest drive we ever had. Roads clear and dry until we hit the DC area and even then, there was a bit of wet spots including salt and I had to use the windshield fluid a few times. It was weird driving south and there was no snow at all until around Wilmington DE with a very light dusting but the further south we went, the more snow. Crazy. Doc was right as usual. There was no snow in Sanford, but I-40 was in terrible shape with Jersey barriers both sides and winding road with contruction behind. I think they're adding lanes. 70 mph with 18-wheelers alongside is not my idea of fun. But I did like the adaptive cruise control that automaticakky slowed you down when encountering a slower car ahead. No more getting trapped behind him while the left lane speeds by. But - forget the lane keeper. It works fine on the left white line but only sometimes on the right and you eventually find yourself heading into the guardrail. I will never use it. A bad idea.

Country flag
Say, what did you use to remove that 8" of heavy wet snow? Shovel only, snow blower, tractor, or ...?

Driveway is about 50' long and two cars wide, walk goes about 75' across the front. I' still a shovel guy and a push mower in the summer, I can always use the workout..

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Mike. Mine is about 300 feet long and 15 feet wide. It's the heavy wet "concrete" snow stuff that nearly killed me last year. Snow blower won't handle it - just "drools" out the chute.

I'm trying to figure a way to prevent the massive buildup at the end of the driveway, from the DOT plows. That's a nightmare for me, and there are no plow services that will touch my drive, because it's gravel.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
pd said:
There was no snow in Sanford, but I-40 was in terrible shape with Jersey barriers both sides and winding road with contruction behind. I think they're adding lanes.

Hope you were on I-4, not I-40... but, yeah, we came up the east side from Port St. Lucie on the Turnpike to run I-4 west to th' hovel last Thanksgiving. Quite a mess through O-town past the Mouse House.

How far away from Tampa are you staying?

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I-4. Senior moment. We are in Venice. Renting same place for 7 years. Very familiar with Tampa area since my wife was getting radiation at Moffitt two years ago and we made the drive every weekday for 6 weeks via the Sunshine Bridge.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - I'm certainly happy to send you the snow/sleet/freezing-rain/ice storm we're expecting this weekend.

Don't want you to miss out.