• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Computer died

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Both desktop and laptop died this afternoon for about 1/2 hour. Desktop light was on but no picture. Light would also not go off. Laptop booted up and then shut itself down. I reset router and both eventually came back. When I tried CC Cleaner on the laptop, it took forever to run though the files rather than the usual one minute or less. My wife said the carwash computers were down as well. What could have happened?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They do seem to have forced some sort of update; this laptop didn't even ask if I wanted to install, just forcibly closed my running programs (loosing some work in the process) and did it's thing.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I gave up on 10 and went back to 8.1, haven't had a major problem since. If an update is in the works, I jump over to the Linux machine and let MS do it's thing on the HP laptop. PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I gave up on 10 and went back to 8.1, haven't had a major problem since. If an update is in the works, I jump over to the Linux machine and let MS do it's thing on the HP laptop. PJ

I gave up on Windows completely and switched to Mac in 2011. Best decision I EVER made! (I still have Win 7 on my iMac that I can boot into if need be - I can even run both OS simultaneously).

D

Deleted member 8987

If you do a fresh 7, 8 or 8.1 install, make sure you don't get the updates until you KNOW what they are.

Some of those updates forced WinDoze ideology onto you...like mandatory updates and TELEMETRY.

This laptop is 8.1 that acts and looks like XP......main boxes XP....Ubuntu backup...and MS cannot get in. Pretty certain they are thinking about it.

Country flag
I still run 7 on my personal machine at home, primarily due to the mandatory updating and tracking. And I'll keep doing that until external stuff on the web will no longer attach. My work laptop however is going to 10 this week as the company has decided it is better. Except for those of us doing mainframe support, (yes I'm a dinosaur...), and the emulation to attach is much more a pain in the behind to setup and use.