• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Low Oil Pressure Light

TR6Dan

Country flag
I noticed the last time I drove my car the low oil pressure light took a half mile or so of driving to go off. The oil level is fine and the oil pressure gauge says 75 and the lowest 50. Could it be the oil pressure switch or another item needs replacing? Dumb question; but what is the purpose of both a light and gauge?

Thanks,
Dan

dklawson

Yoda
The switch is for alerting you with the sudden appearance of the colored light in your line of sight. It might be a while before you notice a low reading gauge.

Switches do go bad. I would replace it with a known good one as it is the least expensive first step. A second step would be to use an aftermarket, cheap pressure gauge to confirm the one in the dash is reading correctly.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This is going to sound odd but IIRC there is tie in with the oil pressure light and the PDWA* electrical circuit. I had a similar problem, faint glow of the oil pressure light that would come on and then go off after a while, when I first bought my TR6 in the 1988. It turned out that the brakes had not been bled properly and the PDWA piston was not well centered. I bled the brakes to center the PDWA piston and the problem went away. Another way to center the piston if it isn't too far off center would be to remove the switch on top of the PDWA and use a small screwdriver or punch to move the piston and center it. There is a pretty good bit on the Buckeye Triumphs website technical articles that discuss rebuilding the brake master and PDWA. You can see what the piston looks like and how the PDWA switch rides in this necked down portion of the the PDWA piston.

https://buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/MCPDWA/MC.htm

*PDWA - (Pressure Differential Warning Actuator) just in case you are not familiar with it, it is part of the brake system to warn you of a loss of pressure on either the front or rear hydraulic circuit

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The PDWA switch when grounded can activate the BRAKE light, but the not the Oil Pressure warning lamp....on the other hand low oil pressure will illuminate BOTH the BRAKE and the Oil Pressure warning lamp. However both lamps will be rather dim due receiving only 6 of the 12 volts
If the OP warning lamp does go out after a half mile or so as Dan described I doubt that the problem is the PDWA itself.