• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bellhousing Blues

Guy Marshall

Country flag
Hi all,

Reinstalling a rebuilt BN6 side change gearbox I discovered the PO had replaced the slave cylindar mounting bolts with 20mm M10 metric bolts which have now stripped out.

There seems to be plenty of space to re-tap with longer (1½"?) 3/8" unf bolts but has anyone had any experience/recommendations?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
20mm seems short (roughly 3/4"). Maybe there are still good threads in the hole. You can make a chasing tap out of a 3/8-24 bolt. This one's 1-1/4" long:

screenshot.1557.jpg

Otherwise you might be able to loctite studs in the holes, or install helicoils.

OP
G

Guy Marshall

Country flag
Score 1 for the good guys!

A thread clean, then two longer 1[SUP]3/8[/SUP]" screws to replace the metric ones that had been forced in and a little loctite and the slave cylinder is working.
IMG_20181229_110525805.jpg

I'll get some helicoils too...

Thanks all!

Country flag
Do it once. Do it right.

Every Healey I get the opportunity to, I put Heli-Coil/Re-Coil inserts into the slave mounting holes. I once had the slave cylinder fall completely off my car in Lafayette, Louisiana (a LOT easier to deal with than the time I had a clutch hose burst on an MGB in San Francisco).

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7428.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Do it once. Do it right.

Every Healey I get the opportunity to, I put Heli-Coil/Re-Coil inserts into the slave mounting holes. I once had the slave cylinder fall completely off my car in Lafayette, Louisiana (a LOT easier to deal with than the time I had a clutch hose burst on an MGB in San Francisco).

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7428.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg
My bellhousing for my Toyota trans only has one bolt to attach the slave cylinder to it. There’s a stud for the other mounting point. Simplies removal and replacement.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Interesting there are multiple cases of stripping these holes in aluminum. Guess there are few aluminum bolt threads on a Healey. The only other ones I can think of offhand are on the steering idler.

Are folks using "cast iron" torque on these aluminum threads and stripping them out? Or are the slave cyl bolts at such an awkward angle as to promote cross-threading?

Enquiring minds...

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I think that a fine thread into aluminium was kind of frowned upon in engineering circles and even BMC/BL changed to UNC later.

Could it be worsened with the ageing of the ali.

Danny

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think that a fine thread into aluminium was kind of frowned upon in engineering circles and even BMC/BL changed to UNC later.

Could it be worsened with the ageing of the ali.

Danny

Interesting. Sounds logical. I believe the Smitty bellhousing uses coarse threads for the slave attachment.

Addendum: So the optimum setup would be to tap the holes for a coarse helicoil.

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Nothing wrong with the insert being fine and you can still use your original bolts if they're good.

Danny

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting there are multiple cases of stripping these holes in aluminum. Guess there are few aluminum bolt threads on a Healey. The only other ones I can think of offhand are on the steering idler.

Are folks using "cast iron" torque on these aluminum threads and stripping them out? Or are the slave cyl bolts at such an awkward angle as to promote cross-threading?

Enquiring minds...

Must be I never had any problem like these. //

Country flag
Maybe dissimilar metals corrosion contributes? IIRC, mine stripped really easily, and I'm not THAT ham-fisted. That, or trying to get the slave off and on in situ, with all the hassle that entails. I never use split lockwashers on aluminum, BTW; the washers dig into the soft metal and release tension on the bolts. I use Grade 8 flatwashers under the bolts, with blue threadlocker.

OP
G

Guy Marshall

Country flag
@steveg - mine had a pair of bastard 25mm M10 metric thread bolts forced in which is why they stripped. Happily the M10s were very short so I could clean up and extend the thread and replace with 1 3/4 3/8 UNF bolts which is now "better than new". For what thats worth!