• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wham bang! Now what?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well it finally happened to me... on Friday I was in a car accident and my car was totaled. I was lucky and walked away unscathed except a bump on my head where I hit the drivers window. The side airbag did not fully deploy (see pic) as it got hung up on the "B" post.
I am now looking for a new car... either a Mazda 3 or a Mazda 6. Does anyone have any thoughts on these cars? (Steve- you there?)
Most other cars I've looked at have a CVT transmission which I am not fond of. The Mazda"s are 6-speed trannys.
Also, am I foolish to consider a sedan when most car companies are dropping sedans in favor of the better selling SUV's?
All comments welcome!

IMG_2729.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - sure glad you're ok!

I was very close to getting a new Mazda 6 just a few months ago - great reviews, had the features I wanted. Good price, etc.

However, I tend to keep a car for at least ten years. Many Mazda owners reported major rust issues after three or four years.

A recent BCF thread:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...w-sedan-what-would-you-choose&highlight=mazda

If it hadn't been for the BCF comments on the rust issue, I'd have a Mazda 6 now. Instead, I got a new Nissan Altima 2.5. Really like it - and I've never been a fan of non-sedans. Sedans are just a heck of a lot more comfortable (and I think stylish) than other models.

Tom M.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Tom... I'm glad you're happy with your Altima. I just can't get past the CVT's in those cars.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Have to admit, some people don't like the CVT "feel". BMW/Audi stopped using CVT back in 2015 due to tech problems. The Nissan CVT is made by a different company; I've had Nissan CVT for over ten years - never a problem.

TM

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
SUV vs Sedan? That's largely down to personal choice. For me, having owned both, I'd opt for the SUV just for the added - utility. Nothing wrong with a good sedan, but I really have come to love the extra space and functionality of my SUV. Have had my Hyundai Santa Fe for over 11 years and nearing 300k miles. I added a tow kit so I can tow a small utility trailer (for taking stuff to the dump) or even a small camper trailer. Also can fold down the rear seats for added in-car storage - that's come in handy multiple times. EVen with all this, the small v-6 gets 24+ MPG on the freeway.
I also like that I sit just a little higher and feel like I have better visibility than in a sedan.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
SUV vs Sedan? That's largely down to personal choice. For me, having owned both, I'd opt for the SUV just for the added - utility. Nothing wrong with a good sedan, but I really have come to love the extra space and functionality of my SUV. Have had my Hyundai Santa Fe for over 11 years and nearing 300k miles. I added a tow kit so I can tow a small utility trailer (for taking stuff to the dump) or even a small camper trailer. Also can fold down the rear seats for added in-car storage - that's come in handy multiple times. EVen with all this, the small v-6 gets 24+ MPG on the freeway.
I also like that I sit just a little higher and feel like I have better visibility than in a sedan.
All great points Basil. My wife has a RAV4 so my thought was when I need more cargo room and for towing my trailer I could use hers. I do like sitting higher in the RAV4 as well but the sport sedan seems more attractive (to me) than the SUV at this time. I intend to keep an open mind and see where it takes me.
I did drive a Mazda 3 today and while it drove great, the back seat had little room for adults.
Thanks for your comments Bas.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
All great points Basil. My wife has a RAV4 so my thought was when I need more cargo room and for towing my trailer I could use hers. I do like sitting higher in the RAV4 as well but the sport sedan seems more attractive (to me) than the SUV at this time. I intend to keep an open mind and see where it takes me.
I did drive a Mazda 3 today and while it drove great, the back seat had little room for adults.
Thanks for your comments Bas.

Well, if you have a RAV4 in the family already then never mind. There are some great looking sedans on the market today. You might want to look at the Hyundai Sonata:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/index.aspx

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wow, Elliot! That looks perilously close to being injurious! Glad you're not hurt.

I've no idea what to suggest as replacement, my proclivities go to older Volvo or Benz station wagons!

...or an M-1 Abrams. :smirk:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The thought of rotating that turret to clear traffic sounds alluring.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice car Tom but again I’m stopped in my tracks by the CVT.
By the way, I’m driving a Nissan Rogue right now (a rental) and don’t like the trans.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
D.I.L. now on her 2nd Mazda 6. She loves them. I drove it in FL when they lived there. One of the better handling sedans out there. It's more of a driver's car than Camrys. I almost bought one but the salesman never followed up my test drive and I decided to stick with Subaru. Both my daughter and I are our second Subarus, she a Crosstrek and me a Legacy.

dklawson

Yoda
I am in the south so rust is not typically a problem. In the past I have owned Mazda sedans and my older son currently owns a Mazda 3i (bare bones entry level car). No rust on either one. Those cars were both chosen so we could have manual transmissions in fun, comfortable cars. If you want manual, you only have a handful of choices, Subaru, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, BMW....

I was going to replace my Civic with a new car when I retired. However, there are not a lot of manual transmission cars out there (and there are things I didn't like about each) so I have kept my Civic. Subarus are expensive with lower gas mileage than I want, Hondas currently look like "transformers" and I hate that styling, Mazdas (at least the 3) does have a cramped rear seat, Hyundais are new to me (my younger son recently started driving an Accent), and I won't own anything German (too expensive to maintain). I am waiting in vain for a reliable, cost effective, comfortable car with a manual transmission. I expect my Civic will have to be with me for years to come.

In spite of limited rear seat room, I still like the look and feel of the Mazda 3 and at this time I would choose it if I had to replace a car.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As an aside - I'd prefer a standard transmission myself. But four speed (plus o/drive) was enough for me. Six and seven gears to shift through are probably more fuel efficient, but I didn't want my left leg twice as strong as my right.

TM

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My Wife has a 2010 Ford Fusion with a 6 speed manual transmission.
She doesn't like the newer Fusions however.The Mazda 6 is a better driving car,
& both have a huge trunk.
I drove a Nissan rental car (Altima or a Sentra),& it was the worst driving
car I've ever driven.It had drive-by-wire throttle/steering,so you were constantly
correcting it as you drove.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wow
Now I know what that disturbance in the force was
Worrying about you Mr. Elliott