• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Seat back angle

cluker

Freshman Member
Hi,

I have a 1960 TR3A and would like to install TR3 seats (currently have modified TR6 seats), but I find the seat back angle uncomfortable; they're too upright.

I was wondering if anyone thought it feasible to take the forward tilting type of seat (like this one) and modify the hinge assembly or mating parts to give a permanent rear angle that is about 10 deg tilted further back.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done that? Is there a better way to get a more comfortable angle while retaining an original(ish) look?

thanks, Craig
Seattle, WA

Attachments

• tilting passenger seat.png
    tilting passenger seat.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 47

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Craig.... just this past week I was looking thru some old Road and Track
magazines. Loved finding Triumph's ad dated about 1958. It listed 6 reasons
why someone should buy a Triumph. Number 4 on the list:
SEATS: Orthopedically designed for comfort.

While I can't hold a candle to Randall's butt time in a TR3 seat....
I know I have over 100,000+ miles there... and I have to say the
advertising department stretched things W A Y too far with that one!

Gil. NoCal

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm just a newbie, but could raising the front of the base accomplish it? Maybe weld or bolt in a wedge from the floor or onto the seat. It would maintain a stock look, and would be reversible if done right.

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Raising the front of the seat would result in your knees rubbing on the steering wheel unless you install a smaller wheel. I already reduced to a 15" wheel. The Simplest thing I found was to add more padding towards the bottom of the seat back. This helps but only and inch or so.

OP
C

cluker

Freshman Member
I had thought of simply tilting the whole assembly too, but the steering wheel almost brushes my thighs already.

So what about my idea for a little surgery on the tilting seat back? I don't mind experimenting, but I'd like to know from more experienced folks if it's a goofy idea before I start.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Craig

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Craig,
so your TR6 seats must not have the option of reclining? I use TR6 seats in my TR4's. The primary reason I use these seats is to use the reclining position. I agree that the stock seats are way to far forward. However as a young man in my twenties I did not have a problem with them.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
It seems to me that the TR3, as well as many period cars, had seats that were designed with a driver position that is quite different than today's semi relining with arms straightened style. (NASCAR still uses the old position with the steering wheel close and in your lap.)
I'd suggest that you consider adapting your driving style to the period seating. It's awkward at first but you get used to it and it suits the car.
Tom

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Simply relocating the bolt hole for the seat hinge will work for one seat, not the other. It will cause some added stress on the bolt and on the bottom of the seat back. These could be reinforced a little to keep the back from buckling or the holes from elongating. My car has a roll bar which the DPO located to close to the seat so I have no more room to adjust.

OP
C

cluker

Freshman Member
It seems to me that the TR3, as well as many period cars, had seats that were designed with a driver position that is quite different than today's semi relining with arms straightened style. (NASCAR still uses the old position with the steering wheel close and in your lap.)
I'd suggest that you consider adapting your driving style to the period seating. It's awkward at first but you get used to it and it suits the car.
Tom

I have been doing that and agree that it's possible to get used to that "close in" position. The problem is that my back doesn't like the very upright angle.

Thanks to everyone of the replies. I think I'll risk ordering some new seats and will attempt some modifications on them.

Craig