• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Whitworth - Not Just About Wrenches

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had no idea about the hexagonal barrel rifles and artillery. The set of Starrett radius gauges in the opening scene made me giggle; I grew up learning to use that same set (now in my toolbox) and all sorts of micrometers, calipers, dial indicators, etc.

Thanks for that link, Rick!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Whitworth wrenches. Relics left over from the Dawn of the Industrial Revolution and foisted off on us gullible Yanks in the 1950's. Naturally I have a full set of Snap-On wrenches and 1/2" drive sockets I bought during my MG TD days. Today, they lie fallow in my rollaway cabinet, unused since the 1970s. One of these days, I'll have to part with them...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great video. I knew about the rifles but had never seen a Whitworth artillery piece.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gent from the Civil war shooting group I am a member of just completed his Whitworth cannon project. had it at our National shoot for the cannon competition.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Aren't the center release wheels on most of the British cars also a Whitworth design? I've heard them referred to as a Whitworth style wheel in the past but not sure if there is a connection.

I do have a few British Seagull outboard motors that still require my Whitworth sockets and wrenches. I have some broken off bolts that I need to extract, and access to a machine shop, but I do not have a set of Whitworth tap and die tools for the threads.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Aren't the center release wheels on most of the British cars also a Whitworth design? I've heard them referred to as a Whitworth style wheel in the past but not sure if there is a connection.

I do have a few British Seagull outboard motors that still require my Whitworth sockets and wrenches. I have some broken off bolts that I need to extract, and access to a machine shop, but I do not have a set of Whitworth tap and die tools for the threads.
You're thinking of Rudge-Whitworth. According to a couple of sources, Rudge and Whitworth were two bicycle companies, but Whitworth was started by a fellow named Pugh.

As for the tap & dies, Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Whitworth-Br...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MQ2M3C9

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
You're thinking of Rudge-Whitworth. According to a couple of sources, Rudge and Whitworth were two bicycle companies, but Whitworth was started by a fellow named Pugh.

As for the tap & dies, Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Whitworth-Br...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MQ2M3C9

Those appear to be Whitworth only. Fine thread were BSF, coarse thread BSW.
British Standard Fine and Whitworth. Most cars, engines, motorbikes etc., had more BSF than Whitworth threads. Head sizes were suitable for Whitworth tools, many are marked with 2 sizes, like 1/4 W, 5/16 BSF.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The one I like is a big one marked OBA - whatever that is. I think I used it once. Don't try to cheat if you don't have Whitworth wrenches. Ever skin your knuckles when the wrench slips? I would never use an open-end wrench if I could avoid it.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I believe the two head markings came about as an attempt to reduce the number of tools that were needed in a mechanics tool box. At the same time I think there was some adjustment to the head sizes of the nuts and bolts. I could not find a BSW only spanner to compare with the combined one.

I have several sets of BA spanners from O BA to 10 BA. The 2 BA, 4 BA and 6 BA were the most common sizes we used
We also had to contend with the AF spanners. Possible American fine or Across flats was never sure of that one. Then we went Metric.

David

BSF BSW.jpg

Those appear to be Whitworth only. Fine thread were BSF, coarse thread BSW.
British Standard Fine and Whitworth. Most cars, engines, motorbikes etc., had more BSF than Whitworth threads. Head sizes were suitable for Whitworth tools, many are marked with 2 sizes, like 1/4 W, 5/16 BSF.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
The one I like is a big one marked OBA - whatever that is. I think I used it once. Don't try to cheat if you don't have Whitworth wrenches. Ever skin your knuckles when the wrench slips? I would never use an open-end wrench if I could avoid it.
BA is another thread form, found in electrics and occasionally carburetters.
It stands for British Association. 0BA is Zero BA, the largest size, roughly 1/4 inch. 2 and 4 BA are the most common.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not sure just why I'm droolin' onna keyboard after perusing that site, but THESE have me in a state of anxiety over my "I WANT THOSE!" feeling. I don't need them, but...

18799_large_image(1).jpg