• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

50th Anniversary of the Saving of 1968

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
1968 was a truly wretched year for America. It started with the Tet Offensive then on to the assassinations of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and presidential candidate Robert Kennedy. Americans lost their lives in numerous anti war protests and race riots. The body count in Vietnam continued to greet news watchers every evening. On December 21, 1968, Apollo 8 launched from Cape Kennedy orbited the moon 10 times and returned its crew safely to Earth, an incredible achievement. I turned 21 on December 21, 1968, I was in Vietnam. Like many living in Billings, MT, I have had the opportunity to meet Frank Borman and thank him. Many of you have lived this, so nothing new here, I just wanted to say something.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
'Twas the year I graduated high school. Thought the world had turned upside-down. Two years into college, got bored with 8th grade math, English and history they insisted were mandatory, so joined the USAF. Went TDY in-country numerous times. Last year of my four year enlistment was spent in Thailand. More TDY's in-country. Doing what is now called Combat Camera work. Both on the floor and in the air. Learned not to mention my military service in "mixed" company. It took the kids coming back from Desert Storm for that to change. They have my gratitude, honor and respect.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A good book on the Apollo 8 adventure, and the events of that year - my third year in college:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35414997-rocket-men

35414997.jpg

Country flag
I was 5 years old. I remember there were buckets of water under every window on the front of our house. I asked my mom and dad why were there buckets of water under the windows? My mom said in case someone tried to throw something on fire through one of the windows. Fortunately, nothing like that ever happened. I don't know that I'd believe it if I hadn't lived it, it seems so surreal.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Someplace around here I've got photos of campus protests from the time. U. Pittsburgh, before protesters dressed in jeans and t-shirts. Young women in dresses, hair all done up. Guys in khaki slacks shirts tucked in, short hair... all carrying anti-war signs.

Went to visit Kent State about a month before the trouble there. Went to visit a cousin attending. I'd call it Bucolic U. at that point. NO indication of any discord at all.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It was a truly gut wrenching/life changing time for me....

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I was married with one kid in 1968 and another on the way. I had a Mercedes 220 SEb sedan and a VW Beetle sunroof then. Bought a Datsun 510 in 1969 and autocrossed it - unsuccessfully. Have you seen what those things are going for now?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's the Datsun 210 tranny for the Sprites. I have one.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I was all of 7. I remember 1968 pretty well for being so young. Remember waking up and hearing on the news that Bobby Kennedy was shot, remember the news being interrupted when they announced MLK was shot, the nightly Viet Nam casualty counts. Probably because I was so young and had a wonderful family, but my early memories of the mid sixties are all very positive. Late 60s, early 70s not so much. Many people say 70s was the best era for movies, but that 70s vibe just makes most of them seem dull and depressing to me.

Always loved the NASA stuff, some of my earliest memories are watching the Gemini launches and recoveries.

Have to say though, I really like the Triumph lineup from 68, and would love to have a Spitfire and GT6 to round out the collection.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Just opened my birthday present. Wife got me Rocket Men.