• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

They Shall Not Grow Old

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
S T U N N I N G !
Unlike anything seen before.
Being a WW1 buff, this was the most amazing war movie I've ever seen. "They Shall Not Grow Old" is a Peter Jackson documentary that uses original footage but sort of modernizes it. Today was release day in limited theater locations (at 4 and 7pm) followed by a second showing on December 27th. I can't recommend it enough... AND there is a 30 minute documentary about the making of the movie right after it.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here is a tiny bit of the post-movie (30 min.) documentary. Jackson reviews how they restored 100 year old film... and used only voices of British soldiers (recorded in the 60s and 70s). The authenticity is amazing. This was all sponsored by the Imperial War Museum in England.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I figure that it must come out in some sort of regular release in the coming months. Again, the 30 minute "making of" is worth every minute too!

Of the MANY things they did for authenticity, they had lip-readers figure out what people were saying and had the voices added back.
Everyone in this photo (which is a screen shot from real video) died about 30 minutes later:

ww1.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm going on the 27th and I am really looking forward to it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Finally. A flik worth paying to see in a theater.

Country flag
Peter Jackson is a true WW1 buff. His monetary position in life has allowed him to bankroll a model company that makes the neglected aircraft of the conflict and to an accuracy standard normally unseen before. Kudos to him for preserving this history and making it available to all of us around today.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, worth paying for (though not cheap)... I think the 3D version (worth it) was about $16. I'm used to senior-matinee prices these days at $6. :rolleye:

And you could tell Jackson was WW1 buff as he has a huge collection of uniforms, equipment and documents/magazines from the era. Thanks, too, to the Imperial War Museum for approaching him to do this important work. The project began in 2014 and was ready just in time for November 11, 2018 (where it was debuted in England). They started with 600 hours (!) of film and narrowed it to about 6 hours (!) to end up with a 99 minute film. Just amazing.