• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Toyota headlight @#$%

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The headlight assemblies in my Toyota need replacing so I ordered some new ones off of Amazon. They arrived and today being a nice day, I decided to replace them this afternoon. Hah, I over estimated my capabilities and under estimated the Toyota engineers sheer evilness. To replace the headlight assembly, something that has four bolts attaching it, you must loosen the front bumper and remove two of the fender bolts to give you enough wiggle room to wriggle the assembly out. You must then must fight, and sweat, and bleed to remove the old headlight assembly and then bleed, and sweat, and fight to install the new one. Once that is done you can replace the two fender bolts and secure the bumper. I managed to get the driver's side replaced before the sun went down, I'll do the passenger side tomorrow. 20181215_165021.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
they are wicked - mine nemesis is my daughter's New Beetle - to replace the headlight unit, I finally went in through the front smash, peel and cut until all came out.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
To change taillights on the most recent model of Chevy Van, you have to remove the entire rear trim. Crazy. Changing bulbs in Toyotas is like being at one of those "Escape Room" places. It can be done, but you have to figure out how.

In my experience, the only manufacturer who makes things somewhat DIY friendly is Nissan. Much of their routine maintenance items were reasonably well thought out.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Nissan - agreed. I've done most of the "replacements" on my Altimas without too much blood loss. But replacing the engine V belt and pulleys was a bit of a challenge.

:wall:

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Walter,
was there an electrical/electronic problem with the light buckets, or just the cloudy lenses? There are some amazing polishing kits on the market now that will restore a cloudy plastic lens to 99.999% of original. Purchase price of a top shelf 3M kit with polishing tools is probably less than the cost of one headlight assembly. Probably quicker to do than replace the headlights as well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've changed headlight bulbs on Herself's Camry, gave serious thought to replacing the whole assemblies... then decided to try polishing instead. Progressed from #600 wet-or-dry to #1500, then rubbing and polishing compound. Worked well enuff to buy me a year or two before the bloodletting exercise becomes the only option. A pal's Chevy Traverse needed a headlight bulb replaced, you have to jack up the beast, off with the wheel, undo several fasteners holding the inner wheel well and approach the lamp enclosure from there.

Some engineers need to be in leg irons!

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
you have to jack up the beast, off with the wheel, undo several fasteners holding the inner wheel well and approach the lamp enclosure from there.

Some engineers need to be in leg irons!
That's getting to be SOP for the most part.
Seriously have to put most of the newer cars on a lift when they come in for a headlight bulb. And woe be unto the poor tech who gets assigned a car with Xenon bulbs. Hard to get in and out, and just as often as not it's an ignitor control module that's gone belly up in addition to the bulb.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What a PITA to replace the battery in my wife’s previous Dodge Stratus. You have to remove the FL wheel then the plastic wheel liner to remove/replace. Grrrr.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I’ve had good success restoring clouded over headlights with 303 Protectant. Lots easier than polishing.
A7F7E205-70F1-4231-B7BD-E39F527780AA.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

early 70-'s Lincoln...change taillight bulbs...two workers, remove rear bumper, hours of work...and you did them ALL with the bumper off.

Dee

Country flag
I have a big list of things I like to maintenance myself. I take this list with me when I go to purchase a new vehicle. I require the sales person to show me how to access all the places I need to get to. If he can't do it I simply walk out the door and since he is taught to be a closer and doesn't close the sale, he gets a very bad report. If nothing else it's a fun game to play

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The wife’s equaniox you remove the complete front facia so you do both

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I will say that My Kia is probably a 2 minute job to replace the headlight.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I got the passenger side taken care of today. They were way beyond polishing, the plastic was beginning to crack. New cars are a PITA to mess with in so many ways. If I ever do this again I'll just remove the front bumper and grill, it would have made access a little easier. Here's the final product:
IMG_20181216_152731_482.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Had to remove the bumper to change a headlight on the Saab too.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Had to remove the entire instrument cluster *and* dash panels, to replace a burned out bulb for the "Heater On" light on a 1991 Alfa 164.

Everything - and I mean *everything* - on that car has an indicator light.

Alfa 164.jpg

yeesh

Country flag
You wonder if it because components are designed individually where there is nothing in the way until actual assembly, or deliberately as a way to may most folks return to a dealer. While I tackle some stuff on the daily driver, my brothers aren't so interested in spending an afternoon doing some task.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
... then decided to try polishing instead. Progressed from #600 wet-or-dry to #1500, then rubbing and polishing compound. Worked well enuff to buy me a year or two before the bloodletting exercise becomes the only option. ...
I would highly recommend following up with a headlight coating.

Factory lenses have a UV resistant hardcoat. Modern headlight lenses are made of polycarbonate, which has very poor UV performance. The factory coating keeps deterioration at bay for years. Once it has failed and the lenses are sanded it's gone and the plastic will degrade quickly.

The headlight coatings you can do yourself won't last as long as a factory coating, but can last a couple years and are very easy to apply. I use Meguiar's, which is available as either spray-on or wipe-on. Plus, if you only sand lenses to a satin finish rather than crystal clear, the coating will improve clarity, much like spraying clearcoat over a matte base paint.