• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello, all.

foscojo

Freshman Member
I am interested in getting my first classic car. I am here to learn about classic British sports cars which I have always loved. Of course, there are so many classic cars that I would love to park in my driveway. But I am trying to temper my wall poster impulses with realistic practicality.

My entrance strategy is that upon purchase, 95% of the work needs to be done. I want to drive it home and immediately be having fun with it.

1. low cost for a rust-free, drivable vehicle in pretty good starting shape (I do not want to deal with painting and interior restoration or have it towed straight to a mechanic.)

2. reliable-ish (I want to drive it more often than I repair it.)

3. easy to learn and work on for newbies (I am new to wrenching. I can generally figure out from manuals and web how to take things apart and reassemble them. But I have never welded anything.)

4. not a land yacht or a massive gas guzzler

So, from what I've picked up so far, the prime candidates are the MGB and the Triumph Spitfire 1500. On my list is also the decidedly non-British, non-roadster Chevy Corvair Convertible (my wife likes them and they are four-seaters so the kids and enjoy it as well).

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Don't forget the TR6, or depending on your budget, a restored TR3 or TR4.

Yes, there may be some work keeping them road-worthy, like changing your own oil or doing your own tune-ups, but that is part of the experience. The engines are actually fairly simple, not like the electronically controlled engines of today.

My father and I have a pair of TR3s, and his has been in the family for 50 years, while mine is approaching 50 days. His was his daily driver for years and unlike cars of today, back then you fixed your car and kept going. Today, when a car gets too old we trade it in.

I wish you luck on your search and subsequent journey. I did see a really nice TR3 on eBay last night that was garage kept and mostly restored. The price was pretty good, but alas, I have one and that one was in Wisconsin (I think). You could start your search there I think and keep looking around. There are also a few here in the classifieds.

Ron