• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Vertical link

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I checked the runout on both my vertical links per John's method in another thread (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?98354-Triumph-spindles). I have it chucked in a lathe rather than a drill press. Both read around 0.050 in.

One of them had bad threads so I'm scrapping it and bought a brand new one from Rimmer Brothers which arrived yesterday. It also has around .050 runout out of the box.

Here's what it looked like: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N1y...FMxRjmM0YXS28s

Both old links turned easily before I took them out. The new link is noticeably more snug in the trunnion threads than either of the old ones. (Snug in a good way, not too tight.) Slop in the threads would allow the steering to compensate for runout in the link, but the new link doesn't have any slop.

I'm reluctant to start pounding on a brand new link with the 20-ton hydraulic press that Santa is bringing me this year. I'll definitely try it out on the scrap one first, but what do you guys think?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I think you are great with both. .050” is very close. If they were bent they would be much farther off than you are getting. I only worked mine closer because they were so far off to begin with, and I can often over-do it and spend time way past the point of reason!?! But I would have no worries using yours as they are.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I don't know what the tolerances are but you might check the camber when all together. If that's within spec, and I have no doubt it will be, you're good to go, at least IMO. And thanks to John for publishing the procedure.
It would also seem that getting anything to turn true by less than a few thousands a foot away from the chuck on either the lathe or the drill press will take better chucks than mine.
Tom

OP
S

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It would also seem that getting anything to turn true by less than a few thousands a foot away from the chuck on either the lathe or the drill press will take better chucks than mine.
Tom

Yea, I've been shimming my chuck to try and get it to turn true. Got it down to .003" at about 6 inches out using the 5/8 reamer I bought for the trunnion bushings, which I assume is fairly straight.