• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Every ride is a test ride

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It's a lovely day here in Southern Maryland and, it being a week since the roads were salted for the snow we had last weekend, I figured it would be a nice day to take the car for a few hour's drive. Before departing I went over the normal stuff--tire pressures, knock-off's, fluid levels, etc--eye-balled the engine for any leaks at idle, cleaned the windshield and took off towards a nearby Wawa store about ten miles north to get some coffee and fill the fuel tank prior to setting out for the day's drive.

Within a couple of miles the engine had reached operating temperature and I turned the fan rheostat down as the interior was already nice and toasty. I was just beginning to silently compliment myself on what a wonderful job I do on keeping the car in tip-top condition when I suddenly smelled the strong odor of fuel as power simultaneously fell off. I quickly shut the engine down and coasted to the side of the road, and on popping the hood and turning on the key I saw the source of the problem: the banjo bolt holding the float bowl to the base of the rear H6 carburettor was missing and fuel was leaking onto the front and top of the toe box bigtime.

It didn't appear that fuel was making its way to any ignition source or the headers so I turned around and made it back to my shop without incident. Though I had a couple of later HS SU carbs for the Courier there were no banjo bolts that I could cannibalize so my experience just ended with a call to Moss for a replacement banjo bolt and gasket set.

Truly, every ride is a test ride in that we never know what may happen. I'll add a spare banjo bolt/gasket kit to my onboard parts kit.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
re: "...I'll add a spare banjo bolt/gasket kit to my onboard parts kit."

I've carried spare gaskets/O-rings for years, and started carrying a spare banjo bolt a couple years ago since I seem to have the world's worst luck with SU fuel pumps. IIRC, I got the bolt from Moss but saw cheaper sources afterward.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Michael - I've never had one of my carb banjo bolts loosen, but will follow your advice and add one to my spares along with the various gaskets for same.

Possibility of a single point of failure.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
"Murphy was an optimist"

Doug

Country flag
New item(s) for your revised pre flight checklist: check/secure Banjo Bolts :cheers:

BTW, Michaels Sr & Jr WON the Best Race Prep Shop category in Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Now, if they would just add this tool to their repertoire...

https://www.holley.com/products/tools/ignition_tools_and_testers/parts/8998

8998.jpg

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Randy--

I am one of three customers whose cars run an MSD box and will certainly pass it along!

Country flag
It's tempting to have, and I am only concerned about one car...

Mine is stuck up under the cowl, not just because of the already space-challenged engine compartment, but offering a slightly better environment.

IMG_2923-me.jpg

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I got a new banjo bolt and gaskets from Moss this past Monday and installing the parts took about 10 minutes. Today was the first nice (non-rain) day so I continued the test ride and drove down to Fredericksburg VA and back, about 150 miles roundtrip. Car ran great.