• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wing Fender Fitment Question

DavidThorn

Country flag
I am currently having some work done on my late BJ8

All four wings (fenders I think some of you guys call them !!) have been removed and will be painted.

There was nothing in between the metal wings and alloy shrouds when removed , when they are replaced would you suggest using an anti corrosion strip as advertised by AH Spares ?

If so what are the advantages and any disadvantages ?

Here is their listing https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/wing-fittings/anti-corrosion-joint-strip.aspx

David Thorn

Country flag
They--the strips--couldn't hurt (pretty pricey though). My opinion is that good coats of paint on the wings and shroud, or some electrical tape, should work just as well. Note, if you're going to the expense and trouble, you need something between the boot pan and rear shroud, as water really likes to collect there.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi David,

I have owned my 64BJ8 since new and have had the fenders off many times. Paint has been the only corrosion protection I've used between aluminum shrouds and steel fenders over that period and have experienced no significant corrosion deterioration...if any. Please don't misunderstand, I am not against using an anti-corrosion strip to separate the two dissimilar materials, especially if cold weather driving where road salt is used to melt ice and snow as where I live. However, since I stopped using my Healey as a daily driver in Winter many years ago, I personally see little need for that addition.

Just my thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would also go with the paint option, but as a thought why not consider insulation tape after the paint, now that is cheap.

:cheers:

Bob

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm wondering if the tape adds to the gap between the shroud and fender. Does the SS beading cover it well enough so it's not an issue?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
When I restored mine I realized that by the time I had finished all the body work I had quite a few coats of paint on the flanges. At least one of those coats was Epoxy primer. With all that there is no need to have any other material in there. Also adding a barrier tape or something similar would add to the difficulty of putting in the original style beading. I also believe that installing any seal between those flanges would encourage entrapment of moisture and crude. Just what you don't need in that joint. I believe the original seal stuff and the type of beading used on the Healey is what helps to "cause" the corrosion to begin with. I went one step even further. I'm sure many won't want to do this but when I started to install the beading, I looked at it and said 'not only will these metal tangs do some scratching and such while being installed but they will continue to scratch from vibration during all the years of driving'. Also with this beading it is a great way to create a cavity that is surely to fill with crude, and moisture. So I never installed it. Now when I wash the car I can easily hose off the joint and blow it out with an air hose.