• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 color questions

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
I'm in the very early stages of a TR2 renovation, and wondering if there's a way to know the original color from the numbers on the tags. TS2602L, there are two brass tags on the firewall; EB2557 over 728559. The car has red painted over white, but since there is red on the firewall and under the fuel tank,I'm wondering if the white was a color change from original red. Eventually the body is gonna get stripped, so I'll find out more later, but I'm curious.

Thanks, Phil

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Phil
With your TS number you can get a British Motor build certificate.
You will learn the build date....original exterior color... as well as
interior and weather equipment. This can be ordered online.
Obviously becoming a VTR member also very valuable.
The real authority on specifics on the TR2 is available to you.
Good luck with this special project.
Gil. NoCal

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Congratulations on starting the long road to restoring a Long Door TR2. None of the three tags will give any clue to its original colors and trim. Only way to get that information is to write to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. Small fee for the information but they will send you a neat frameable "birth" certificate. Others will give the link so that you can order the certificate. Many of us have been down the road you are starting on so don't be bashful about asking for advise and be sure to post pictures as you progress.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Inddiana
54 TR2LD TS981

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You can research the original body color and fitments with a heritage certificate. It costs a bit of money but good to have! For your car, I don' think red was an original option (white was).

Dan

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Phil -

Bill Piggott's book, Original TR, is a great resource for all things TR. Also, you might want to hook up with the Vintage TR Register, as Gil mentioned above. Here's what they have to say about TR2s: https://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr2/

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
If you go to the above link it will open to a shot of my dearly beloved TS981. Believe it or not but that is the photo rendition of Ice Blue in direct sunlight. The photographer, Blake Discher, begged forgiveness for the "white" showing. The photo was taken about 2005 in Detroit.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Mentioned above but a link may help: https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

As noted, I do not think early cars were available in red. The story I heard was that Cal Sales / Dorothy Dean were painting new TRs red upon delivery as that is what was selling well in hip & sunny California. The factory learned of this and eventually started delivering red cars. Maybe things have changed but the photo on my garage wall of the show field at the 1987 TRA is over half red TRs. Mine is red but I'm on overload and prefer to see them in other colors.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
According to Piggott's book and other VTR documentation, Signal Red was available starting with TS1201, April 1954, along with British Racing Green. Prior to that, the very earliest TR2s were available only in Ice Blue, Geranium, Olive Yellow, Pearl White and Black.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
+1 on Lou's suggestion. The VTR website has info on ordering the certificate and you can also order a Factory Trace which has much of the same info. Here's the link: https://vintagetriumphregister.org/trace-certs/

The page shows both the certificates and the trace, so you can see what each one has.

OP
P

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the info! I'll be sending off for the certificates, I think they would be nice to have in the file. Kinda like the line-set tickets for my Scout.
Happy Holidays to All!
Phil

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Phil -

Bill Piggott's book, Original TR, is a great resource for all things TR. Also, you might want to hook up with the Vintage TR Register, as Gil mentioned above. Here's what they have to say about TR2s: https://vintagetriumphregister.org/tr2/

+1 on Piggott's book. Here's a source link to the version I have. Some discussion of early colors included. Seems to be getting pricey but well worth it IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Triumph-Tr2-3A-Vol/dp/1901432033
Tom

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For sure I join the vote for Piggotts book.
Met a new TR3 Small mouth owner this past Summer.
He had just been given his grandfathers old race car.
I found a Piggotts book online promptly.
World of information in that gen.
Got him started on the right track.
Gil. NoCal

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a 54 TR-2 Long Door TS 3359 LO. I just got the Standard Register on my car. It left the plant Triumph Racing Green. I am presently restoring it and it with be painted Triumph Racing Green.

Dick

OP
P

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
Thanks,
The Amazon listing referenced also shows a second book, "Triumph TR2, 3 &3A in Detail," by the same author. Is one of these a continuation type thingy, or are they two completely different books?

Does anybody know if the factory used red primer under the original paint? I've found a couple spots that look like the car was blue, then white, then red. Red primer would explain the color under the dash and fuel tank.
Thanks Again,
Phil

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Phil,

The "...Detail" books is different and more recent (2008). It has history on the TR2-3-3A-3B, with lots of side items in different chapters. Also has chapters on the Le Mans TR3S and the cars in competition.

I have both books and consider them worthwhile additions to the TR library.

OP
P

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
Kinda resurrecting an old thread here, with an update: I did get the Heritage certificate for the car, and found that it was originally signal red with a tan interior. So the plan became to nix the black interior it has and go back to original. Since the original post, the car now has a completed frame and running gear (frame cleaned, stripped, primed and painted, re-built front suspension, new rear springs, urethane bushings through out, re-built engine, transmission and rear axle, new shocks all around, new u-joints, all new brakes and lines). The body has been stripped of all paint, including removal of the original undercoat from the wheel wells. Rusted areas have been addressed, and we're on to finish body work on the way towards prime and paint. There was a LOT of paint on the car, thickness could likely have been measured with a yardstick. Looks like it went from red to white to blue to red to red again, with coats of primer in between.
I've been looking to find paint codes for the original paint, and have learned a lot from previous posts here on the forums. Question now is which type of paint to go with, urethane or two-stage. Plan on a trip to the paint store in a couple days to pick their brains.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I'm not an expert but I do my own paint. I personally don't like the look of a two stage, base coat /clear coat, paint on cars from the 50s and 60s. The look is quite different and not right to me. I use a high quality two part urethane or acrylic (paint plus hardener) on anything that was not clear coated originally.

Tom

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I've been looking to find paint codes for the original paint, and have learned a lot from previous posts here on the forums. Question now is which type of paint to go with, urethane or two-stage. Plan on a trip to the paint store in a couple days to pick their brains.

My 1957 TR3 was delivered in Signal Red. The PO did a frame-off restoration in 1987, repainting the car in Signal Red, matching to the original color, using Ditzler/PPG Acrylic Lacquer finish. When I had my car re-sprayed last February (2020), my body-shop guy matched it to a current GM Red (name unknown) but "AZKO Code" 407f5. I'm happy with the color, and I think it represents the original Signal Red quite well. The original mixes/codes don't mean much for today's paints.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Signal red, Standard Triumph 32, is one of the easy ones. Most sources can use the ST32 code. Not as easy with some of the other colors. I can provide DULUX ICI formula if needed.

Tom