• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The State of Indiana Doesn't Know What a MG is

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I will say Ontario asked me (in person not in writing) what MG stood for - Midget not so much. (Though I suppose I could have registered it as an MG Little Person - Ooo am I allowed to say that?) :devilgrin:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I will say Ontario asked me (in person not in writing) what MG stood for - Midget not so much. (Though I suppose I could have registered it as an MG Little Person - Ooo am I allowed to say that?) :devilgrin:

A Morris Garage Little Person. :cool-new:

Coincidentally, I just approved the account of a new member - MiniGuy.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A Morris Garage Little Person. :cool-new:

OOH - I know him!

mini-me-nod-and-wave-320x320.jpg

dklawson

Yoda

Hmmm... possible copyright infringement. There is a Mini import business in CA called MiniGuy operated by a guy named Mike Lewis.

https://www.miniguy.com/

EDIT: I finally remembered how to look through the member list. MiniGuy mentioned above does appear to be Mike Lewis from CA... or at least someone in the same town! Welcome Mike!

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And in the MG, I get: "Is that a Triumph?"

Had one exchange in-traffic while stopped at a light, guy in a Caddy SUV asked: "Is that an A or a C?" I think the hardtop confuses 'em.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And based on the number of people that come up to me in parking lots and at gas stations.
1 in 5 people over the age of 50 owned a MG in the 70’s there must have been more MG on the road than Levi’s in closets

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had a lady say “nice Mercedes” after seeing my TR6.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, I used to get the "like James Bond's car a lot". Also got the MG thing a lot with my Triumph. Also, they must have sold a lot of British sportscars in the Midwest, or they changed hands a lot, cause everybody had one or has a relative that had one back in the day.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think it isn't the State so much as the uneducated people who know nothing of what they are working with. Someone programmed the system with no knowledge of automobiles.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think it isn't the State so much as the uneducated people who know nothing of what they are working with. Someone programmed the system with no knowledge of automobiles.

Software is king! The program designers don't always know the realm they're working with.

At my last physical my doctor stared at the terminal in his office, and asked if I had any drug allergies. I said Terramycin. He clicked a few links on the page, then said "Terramycin isn't in the list I can choose from. I'll put in doxycycline instead - it's close."

oy

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oddly enough, I've had several people tell me they own v8 powered sprites back in the day. When I ask for details though, less than forthcoming with info and cant really remember anything about them. I just kinda laugh.

dklawson

Yoda
Oddly enough, I've had several people tell me they own v8 powered sprites back in the day. When I ask for details though, less than forthcoming with info and cant really remember anything about them. I just kinda laugh.

I saw a lot of butchered British cars in my youth. V8 and V6 transplants with automatic transmissions seemed to be everywhere. The cars always looked nose heavy with silly looking bonnet cutouts or ducts to make room for the air cleaners. The transmissions were always shoe horned into the car with cobed together flat sheet metal mods to the tunnel. The people you ran into were probably brief owners of such cars... and they wanted to forget the experience.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
When my parents got their first Mercedes (1961), the first neighbor who saw it asked "Is that one of the new Studebakers?"

Needless to say, my parents were not pleased.

1961 M-B:

a9decd1f-9dfb-47f3-8cb1-9f105802cae7.JPG

1961 Studebaker Lark:

1959-1964-studebaker-lark-18.jpg.jpg

Mercedes still has a "signature" front end even today. Studebaker ... hmmm

dklawson

Yoda
When my parents got their first Mercedes (1961), the first neighbor who saw it asked "Is that one of the new Studebakers?"

It could be worse. A few years later they might have said "Hey is that a Granada?"

I had not noticed until your pictures how in a side view the Lark convertible looks like a Triumph Herald.