• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tachometer/Dwell Meter

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hi guys,
Just picked up a NOS analog tach/dwell meter to do a little carb tuning. While the unit is in great shape and unused, it does not have any directions with it. Can someone advise me as to proper electrical connections? There is connection for a spark plug wire and then a red clip and a black clip. I am running an electronic 1-2-3 distributor. Thank you!

Lin

IMG_9076.jpg

dklawson

Yoda
For the basic functions, the red clip will go to battery (+) and the black to battery (-). The inductive pickup gets clipped onto the spark plug wire for cylinder #1. Try and keep the inductive pickup away from other spark plug wires.

Most of the functions are self explanatory.

With the electronic ignition you won't get useful information from the dwell function. With electronic ignitions the dwell is fixed and not adjustable.

I don't know how you would use this meter to read Ohms unless it comes with an additional pair of leads and/or has a place to install batteries. Do you have pictures of the back and bottom of the meter?

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Thank you!
I had assumed inductive pick up on #1 spark plug wire. Red connector to (-) side of coil and black connector to ground. With 1-2-3 distributor I won't be checking dwell, but the unit has a 9-volt battery in it. Steve, are you saying just use the inductive connector and the ground connection and not even connect to the coil?
Lin

dklawson

Yoda
Red connector to (-) side of coil and black connector to ground. With 1-2-3 distributor I won't be checking dwell, but the unit has a 9-volt battery in it. Steve, are you saying just use the inductive connector and the ground connection and not even connect to the coil?
Lin

Red goes to battery +, not coil -. The inductive pickup on spark plug wire #1 is your connection for measuring RPM.

If the meter has a 9v battery in it, that will be for measuring resistance (Ohms). For that function you PROBABLY take the red and black clip leads OFF the battery, set the meter to Ohms, and use the red and black clip leads across whatever you are trying to measure the resistance of.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have an old Sears Engine Analyzer somewhat similar.

The red clip can go on a hot connection (neg earth system), such as the supply wire from the ignition key to the coil, or (alternator) the large hot wire from the alternator to the solenoid. Also the horn connection on the fuse box, or the solenoid.

Last edited:

dklawson

Yoda
Doug,
red to battery even with electronic ignition?
Lin

Yes. Red to battery (+), black to battery (-). Being an analyzer with an inductive pickup, the red and black wires are for meter power. They are not part of the tach circuit.

The electronic ignition does not impact the use of the analyzer... except that while you can check the dwell... it is meaningless since you cannot adjust the dwell of electronic ignitions.