• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MS Edge - dead

D

Deleted member 8987

You may notice a comment on that article from a username of a long-defunct US made 0 scale model railroad manufacturer.

I watched the progress of EDGE and all the BS involved even before 10 was released. Took them long enough to pull life support.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: :thumbsup:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Will this be an automatic Chrome update or a user manual update. I supposedly have the latest edition, but who knows. Will Edge just drop off the face of the Earth, or is that another manual setting?
On my Linux machine, I have non of these issues:encouragement: :banana:pJ

D

Deleted member 8987

Will this be an automatic Chrome update or a user manual update. I supposedly have the latest edition, but who knows. Will Edge just drop off the face of the Earth, or is that another manual setting?
On my Linux machine, I have non of these issues:encouragement: :banana:pJ

So many questions. The typical MS sequence probably will be notices that EDGE is no longer supported, followed by all your favourite websites placing notices when they detect an EDGE user that EDGE is no longer supported.....and then after the prescribed period of mourning you will discover nothing works any more.

MS will probably down load the new browser....but who knows if it will now fall under their subscription model?

And wasn't the big issue with this early in the 10 experience that folks could not load Chrome onto 10, as in, 10 blocked it?

This is hilarious.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Maybe I'm missing something again. Didn't the article just say that Edge will no longer use the MS "engine", and instead use the Chrome engine?

In other words, Edge will continue as a browser, but it will update itself to the new setup.

TM

D

Deleted member 8987

Oh, yeah.....like some of the Nasty Boys with Healey badges and bow-tie drivetrains.

Keep the badge, change everything else.

What did we used to say decades ago?

Bring your Chevy into the shop, jack up the radiator cap and drive a Ford underneath?

The big problem was the engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Edge

11 used Trident, then Spartan was developed, rolled into 11 when W10 was released (now, what is IE 11 when the name stayed the same but the engine changed?) and then Edge rolled out, and into W10, using....Spartan as an engine (as did IE11).

Read up on that Wikipedia link and see just how bad IE11 and Edge were and are.

Heck, we knew IE10 and IE11 were bad....so bad that MS issued a patch to prevent it from loading during updates (I kid you not...I had said blockers on all my machines).

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I never used it. I use Chrome for work, because they are MS slaves and Firefox at home.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I use Opera in Windoze, takes a little more setting up but pretty customizable. Thunderbird for mail, because it works in both Windoze and Linux. PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I use Opera in Windoze, takes a little more setting up but pretty customizable. Thunderbird for mail, because it works in both Windoze and Linux. PJ