• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A brake reservoir on a tr3

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
So I am back on what type of brake fluid type story to use. I called around and had a difficult time finding dot5 and when I did find some the guy told me he had one quart left. I asked what he meant by that, and he said it is in low demand.

In addition, to that-- you know the brake reservoir on a tr3 and how it has the separate clutch cup with a rubber gasket which I guess is to prevent all the brake fluid leaving if the clutch leaks, but what if that rubber fails? Wouldn’t the brake fluid leave then? So, did they have 2 smash washers originally on the clutch to separate it and someone used just a rubber washer inside and crush washer out in this one? I thought they all had rubber to separate to the 2 cups.
Steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TRF has the best price I've found on DOT 5 (even with shipping), and they always seem to have it in stock. It's very hard to find in local stores, and generally very expensive when you do.

I've only taken a few reservoirs apart, but all of them have had a pliable (maybe not necessarily rubber but similar) gasket under the inner reservoir. Yes, if that gasket fails, and you also have a clutch failure; then you can lose brake fluid through the clutch. Second level backup is the hand brake :smile:

But I've never had one leak.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
So, when your clutch fails, most will tend to quit driving before the brakes fail...at least I would?!? I think your thinking into it too hard.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks you guys and yes had a math teacher in college tell me you are way over thinking this; it is not that difficult. In fact same thing with English because I would either get to philological with correct grammar or try and be logical with some of the grammar. Common sense is usually very applicable.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Oh, I think I used black neoprene washers from Ace to re-build my reservoir. I tested different materials by leaving them in brake fluid for a week. Cork also did well, but the washer was pre-cut by Ace, so easier.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I buy it at Advance Auto Parts. They seem to always have it in stock. Usually one 1 or 2 bottles. Little more money then DOT4 but the benefits out way the ricks.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I got mine in the paint/parts supply house store. They had some on clearance at $1.50 per container. Said there was no demand for it so they had discontinued it. I bought a lot of it.

David