• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Passing the smog test

Yellow B

Freshman Member
I recently moved to California with my '77 MGB. The stock Zenith-Stromberg has been replaced with SUs, and I am worried that the car wonโ€™t be able to pass the smog inspection so I can register it in California. Does anyone have experience getting a B with SUs to pass the California smog inspection or suggestions to offer?

D

Deleted member 8987

I recently moved to California with my '77 MGB. The stock Zenith-Stromberg has been replaced with SUs, and I am worried that the car wonโ€™t be able to pass the smog inspection so I can register it in California. Does anyone have experience getting a B with SUs to pass the California smog inspection or suggestions to offer?
Unless something has changed....it won't pass...ever. Because, visual inspection if first. Has to have everything it came with...exactly.

The State has never cared about tailpipe if the visual don't match. You could invent a carb that gave 60MPG and zero emissions...and it wouldn't pass.

We've had a few here who tried. Most gave up. Do NOT start the process until you are prepared...I think there is a time limit in which it must pass....or be scrapped.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Only choices you have is to either convert it back to stock with all smog equipment or if your lucky find someone who's selling the moss carb legal fuel injection and swap to that after reinstalling the smog equipment. Once you get it back to stock then you have to get it to actually pass smog. If it were me I would be really tempted to convert the stock zs carb into a throttle body using patton machines efi setup. https://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Customer-Cars.htm Looks stock enough to get through the visual and should pass the dyno without much issue.

No time limit on passing though you may have to non op the car till you get it figured out.

D

Deleted member 8987

Last guy on these forums with a modified Spit told us once he started the title transfer, there was a specific time frame to get it to pass or scrap it.

Then, he hasn't told us what else...exhaust and intake manifolds, cat, smog pump, air injection, factory air cleaners, what else?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not what you want to hear, but it might be more cost effective and a whole lot less aggravation to sell the car to a non California resident, then purchase a smog legal California car. PJ

D

Deleted member 8987

as long as you don't start the process and let dmv have your title. Once you do that, game over.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Would reg out of state and keep your fingers crossed that you donโ€™t get caught. Late Bs will have this problem forever, as they where not that good from the factory in California guise.
If I really wanted a B, would sell the one he has and purchase a MKI.
True about the DMV....once they have your paperwork, or vin number you are doomed!

OP
Y

Yellow B

Freshman Member
This is all very sobering--and disappointing. But selling the car out of state and buying something that will pass is probably the most realistic option. I thank you all.

D

Deleted member 8987

When dealing with CalDMV and CARB, truth is far stranger than fiction.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is all very sobering--and disappointing. But selling the car out of state and buying something that will pass is probably the most realistic option. I thank you all.

In CA, you will want a pre-โ€˜76 vehicle. You missed it by that much, two years.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
While planning to escape western Pennsylvania winters we had two choices; California or Florida. Had offers in both, looked at cost of living vs. wages and vehicle requirements/restrictions. Florida was a no-brainer in our case.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
While planning to escape western Pennsylvania winters we had two choices; California or Florida. Had offers in both, looked at cost of living vs. wages and vehicle requirements/restrictions. Florida was a no-brainer in our case.

South Carolina is pretty much in the same category Doc. PJ