Thread: Retractable Seat Belts

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Retractable Seat Belts

Last year, I decided to upgrade Baby Blue's seat belts to retractable units, mainly because of the way my daughter moves about in the car while we're driving. I ordered a pair of retractable units from VB. Installation was a breeze, as I just mounted it directly to the rear wheel arch. However, the biggest problem I'm running into is that the one on the driver's side jams / inertia locks without any rhyme or reason. I can usually get it going again with some finagling and effort. I have it set up identical to the passenger side in terms of where all the arrows point, etc. Is this unit just a lemon, or am I missing something in the setup?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Retractable Seat Belts

It's the angle belt is positioned at. The reel works via gravity. Tweak the mounting angle just a smidge and you should be able to get it to work.
    Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks, Jim! A little bit of tweaking seemed to do the trick. I don't think it likes the angle from the retractor to how it goes over the top of the bucket ('69 had the unique bucket seat / headrest combination). I mounted directly to the wheel arch instead of using a bracket. I figured less bolts between the retractor and the body would give it more of a chance of doing what it is supposed to in an accident: keep me from eating the steering wheel.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Glad I could help

Quote Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
    Thanks, Jim! A little bit of tweaking seemed to do the trick. I don't think it likes the angle from the retractor to how it goes over the top of the bucket ('69 had the unique bucket seat / headrest combination). I mounted directly to the wheel arch instead of using a bracket. I figured less bolts between the retractor and the body would give it more of a chance of doing what it is supposed to in an accident: keep me from eating the steering wheel.
    Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -