• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lionel Trains & Hubley Plane

D

Deleted member 8987

I tried, but cannot make out the loco cab number.
Important.

Missing everything important...main rods, crosshead and guides, valve gear....motor screws to shell. Later plastic tender to replace older metal one. I see parts.
Track is usually (in the old days) just included.
Cars are rough to unusable due to lithograph going away.
Been doing Lionel since 1952, still have the first engine, a pre-war 225E.

You have a mix of pre-war Box couplers and post-war knuckles. Not interchangeable in service.

I have a basement layout. Do Lionel repairs on occasion anymore...used to do it a lot.
The Baby Ruth box is 027...small car...basically cast plexiglas, brittle, usually won't retain paint after all these years.
The gon is really bad...paint, maybe shell...must have made millions of them.

Used to be "trucks are worth five bucks" but nobody uses PT-1 trucks anymore, so even that has gone.

What you have, add lots of cars, and buildings, and bridges...and 6 or 7 years ago somebody gave the stuff to me. I gave a bunch away (to NC, no less), kept the 0 cars and engine, repaired two or three milk crates of track and manual and electric 031 switches (mostly pins) and the track is still in the milk crates.

If you're looking to part with it, evilbait, and some yay who will go nuts.

Give me a loco number, and a shot of the bottom of the bigger tender.

D

Deleted member 8987

oh....and the attachments for the newer stuff aren't working

D

Deleted member 8987

Saved a photo of the loco, cropped and expanded...not clear enough to be certain, if it is a 1666 there are no parts. Pre-war, not re-issued after the war.

That doesn't mean I can't find used ones, but communicate here.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I still have a Doepke MG TD and an XK 120. Very large models. Also two Solido 1934 Ford convertibles (my first car), and a Mercedes 280 SE still in its original Styrofoam box. Doepke MG & Jaguar.jpgFord 1934-gray.jpgFord 1934-red.jpgMercedes 280SE.jpg

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TOC,

Thanks! - I'll post that soon.
Had to work overtime today (my day off).

D

Deleted member 8987

the newer ones shown, again, loco number, MPC or Fundimensions, evilbait who knows, someone who knows, not much. Lots of those have fixed (dummy) couplers, riveted on trucks....

Not too nicked up from what I can see.

The PRR gon looks older, PT-1 trucks, but they (Lionel) made several million of them.
The Republic Gon is very new, missig at least one wheelset, the GN hopper also is very new, missing at least one wheelset.

Second loco shot looks like 8141, which is a 6-8141, 1971-1972, MPC era, evilbait is reaching on this price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-Com...d-Whistling-Pennsylvania-Tender-/283271239814

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks! I was hoping that I could get $75 for all.

D

Deleted member 8987

The big problem has been evilbait on determining pricing.
When you figure possible shill bidding and add in the absolutely clueless who go catatonic over those key words: RARE VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE, all bets are off.

We see so much stupidity in Lionel and other model railroad bidding.
Then you figure in flippers.

Jim Seacrest Auction (estate) we had folks falling all over themselves....and he had piles and piles of some not so desirable stuff.

Flippers bought it, three weeks later showed up on evilbait for exactly three times what they spent on it.

Fortunately there were few lookers, even fewer takers.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a ton of American Flyer stuff here, all it is, is attic ballast. Whadda shame.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well it's a small world. I have a bunch of American Flyer too.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Another American Flyer here. A Christmas present from my grandparents sometime before 1959. Didn’t have to play with until we came back from Japan in 1963. Every now and then will get it out and run it around the house.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. Paternal grandfather started gifting me with American Flyer trains on my second Christmas and it ballooned into some really elaborate layouts by the time I was ten or eleven. We started assembling a platform just after Thanksgiving, it took up most of our living room. 10'x16' with sometimes a mountain complete with a scaled, motorized ski lift, trestles and tunnels, four tracks with switching and sidings to access all without TOUCHING the rolling stock. Had some hellion cousins we wouldn't allow to operate any of it, too.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My dad backup my American Flyers in 1959 when we moved and they are still in those boxes.

D

Deleted member 8987

34136981000_9151327dff_b.jpg

34454560086_96a687406e_b.jpg

Half the railroad, photos taken while doing major re-alignment of trackage.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a very small set of Lionel trains - one is quite old (1938-1940), a 1970's era one and a couple modern ones. I set it up around the holidays - I don't have room for even a full 4x8 plywood so I have a 7.5x3.5 sheet with the tracks mounted to it - 2 segments are removable since when I set it up it one corner has to go under a heavy cabinet so I remove those 2 track segments, place the track board and then reconnect the segments behind the leg of the cabinet.

Managed to get 2 complete loops of track plus a 3/4 loop siding on the panel, 6 switches and can run 2 trains at once. I use 2 single track transformers with insulating segments between the 2 full loops, and have a lot of places on each loop where one or 2 sections of track can be turned off independently to stop a train while another uses part of the same loop. I had to make the inner loops O27 and the outer one O31 for it all to fit, interfacing between them was a pain and requires having the trains go slowly over the point where they interface.

I had put a couple videos up on YouTube back when they would still let me do so with my existing computers (if I wanted to now they demand I buy new computers) including a couple POV videos from a small sports cam strapped to the trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao03zXTEhMI

POV footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d11theeJWzo