• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Returning to California

Yellow B

Freshman Member
Hello, All. I am not exactly new to the world of British sports cars, having bought a ’57 TR3 when I was 16. Owned it all through high school & college, rebuilt the engine (twice—a learning experience!) and fixed much else. One of my few regrets in life was selling it 10 years later. Then when I turned 60, my wife surprised me with a ’77 MGB! Although nothing will ever take the place of that TR in my heart, I have to confess I have come to enjoy windows that roll up, rack and pinion steering, and the B’s quickness.

I now find that I have a pretty difficult problem with it. I recently moved to California with my B. The stock Zenith-Stromberg has been replaced with SUs, and I am worried that the car won’t be able to pass the smog inspection so I can register it in California. Does anyone have experience getting a B with SUs to pass the California smog inspection or suggestions to offer?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have two suggestions. One is to ask your question over in the MG forum, as not everyone reads the "New Member" forum (which is what this is). You'll at least get more readers (making it likely you'll get more answers). Might even find someone with the parts you need for sale.

The other, of course, is to start looking for the parts to put your car back in compliance with the law. While it's marginally possible you might find a shop that will overlook not just having the wrong carbs, but the wrong number of them; there is no guarantee it will happen next time as well. And yes, they are both required to check and have a database that lists such things.

With the right equipment installed, go to a smog check place and ask them to do an "off-line" test. They'll charge the same as for a regular test, but won't report the results to the state. That will give you a chance to repair any problems (eg tailpipe emissions) without getting branded a "gross polluter". The downside is that you'll have to pay again for an on-line test in order to get your tags.

An alternate choice might be to sell the 77, and buy a slightly earlier model. 75 and earlier don't have to pass smog check.

PS, Welcome to the asylum!

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I worked on a friends 78 MGB and when I took it in for smog check the person had no idea what was original or not. He did look to see if it had a CAT but had to ask where it was. The car did not pass the first time. We replaced the CAT and it passed with no problem.