• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bakelite ashtray fascia 3D print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Since ashtrays were standard equipment on TRs since Comm number 42000 on and rarely found today, seems to me there a need for a source. I’m one of the semi-lucky owners who has the metal tray, but not the Bakelite fascia. With the advancement and availability of 3D printers, a pretty darn good replica could be made. Before I invest the time in measuring an original and ginning up a file, I thought I’d check to see if someone hasn’t already done this? There’s probably lots of engineering-types amongst us.

Jim
TS44743L “O”

PeterK

Yoda
Someone made repro ashtray fronts a few years ago but I think that they cast them from a mold of the original. This was before 3D printer took off. No idea who though, sorry.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim the one I have is chipped and not sure if it is iriginal but you can sure use it for dimensions...

I thought you had the fascia!? I was gonna use that one for measurements!

PeterK

Yoda
Found who molded the repros from this thread : https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tri...r3a-ashtray-bakelite-front-only-t3883455.html

This was from 2011: "Marty Jones is no longer making them as his mold broke. He does, however, have some left to sell. He can be reached at: 352 270 8149" from 2011 not current!

Someone made repro ashtray fronts a few years ago but I think that they cast them from a mold of the original. This was before 3D printer took off. No idea who though, sorry.

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hello All,

Just to close this thread out, Marty Jones (mentioned above) is still doing small-batch reproes, so at this time there’s no need for us to develop a second source. BCF is such a great resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.