• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A flaring the tubing for the clutch MC

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Ok I am out flaring the tubing for the clutch MC and I am thinking I need a single bubble flare on the end because when I look into the bore of the MC I think I see a bubble shaped hole. However, when I look at an original pipe for the clutch I see it has a double fold over flare on the end of line-- like in the picture going into the hole. Are these 2 fittings interchangeable? I guess I can see how they both would/could seal in the same hole?
steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The original TR3A cylinders took double flares. There should be a matching cone sticking up inside the port.

But its possible that some aftermarket cylinders are designed for bubble flares. And a PO may not have noticed that.

Girling never mixed the two types AFAIK. There are some companies now that claim they have a tubing end that will work with either one. But until they are willing to guarantee that the joint will never leak under pressure (and pay benefits to my heirs if it does), I don't intend to try it for myself.

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Guys could someone post a photo of a bubble flare. I think I know what you mean but not sure. My bikes only have mechanical brakes and I'm a long way from doing the brakes on my car at the moment.
Lionel

dklawson

Yoda
There are flares, double flares, and bubble flares. Most British cars I have worked on were from the mid-1960s on and they commonly use a bubble flare. Lionel, see below.

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0/f2/albu/g3/M00/EB/34/rBVaHVZEk6-Abhw6AAIRrgDFXro032.jpg

rBVaHVZEk6-Abhw6AAIRrgDFXro032.jpg

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
yes and it is a mixed bag with the British cars if you look at the 4 way fitting for the braking system 3 of the 4 are double and the 1 on top is a single bubble which is the first step of the double flare.
steve

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jim_Gruber Brake Lines for Bugsy - What do I need for a Flaring Tool / Rear Discs for Bugsy Spridgets 39
drooartz Brake flaring tool Restoration & Tools 8
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A Hard Brake Line Flaring Question Triumph 11
RickB SWA formerly RB Midget needs rear fender flaring Spridgets 60
jaegzie brake flaring tool Restoration & Tools 5
Trevor Jessie Line flaring question... Spridgets 9
D TR6 TR6 Brake Line Flaring Triumph 6
Banjo new flaring tool Restoration & Tools 14
N Hard line Flaring issue........ MG 11
PDIGIO_6x3 TR6 BRAKE TUBING KITS Triumph 6
MadRiver TR6 Emissions Hose/Tubing Size? Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A TR4A 16P Girling Calipers Adapted to TR3. Hose/tubing routing? Triumph 15
G TR4/4A Windshield Washer Tubing Routing Triumph 1
B Stator Tube Question - Is it possible to make one out of tubing? Austin Healey 16
J Protecting new wiring harness under car section-Use clear shrink tubing? Austin Healey 4
W TR6 tubing size '74-TR 6 Triumph 2
B TR2/3/3A TR3 Windshield Wiper Tubing Triumph 5
Lynn Kirkpatrick Brake Pipe [tubing] Replacement MG 9
VelodromeRacer Tubing to use to relocate fire ext. system? Racing 3
jmwuva05 BE screen washer tubing? Spridgets 5
Atrus 1/8” Capillary Tubing [Dizzy Advance] Spridgets 8
G Split loom tubing source Triumph 7
L T-Series Clutch Slave Cylinder Tubing MG 5
Bill Redd TR6 TR6 washer PVC tubing Triumph 3
GregW Brake tubing, Reservoir to MC Austin Healey 4
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Aftermarket brake and clutch master cylinders - black extension? Triumph 6
tr6nitjulius For Sale TR6 Clutch Master Cylinder $40 Triumph Classifieds 0
Turbozinke TR2/3/3A Varying clutch engagement Triumph 6
K TR2/3/3A Pushing down the clutch pedal when starting the car? Triumph 13
DutchConnection Clutch finger problems on Powetune aftermarket clutch cover Spridgets 0
3 100 Clutch Freeplay Austin Healey 7
K New Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder Austin Healey 1
wkilleffer MGB MGB clutch slave bleed driving me nuts MG 38
Govtslug TR6 Clutch Problem Triumph 21
wkilleffer MGB 1974 MGB clutch master cylinder questions MG 1
AUSMHLY Clutch Pedal Freeplay Austin Healey 18
T General Tech Clutch trouble Triumph 12
K TR2/3/3A Gearbox clutch adjustment. Triumph 1
AUSMHLY Clutch Stalls Engine Austin Healey 16
D Wanted WTB - clutch fork and shifter from Datsun 5 speed #60 Spridgets Classified 0
G MGB Sorry from the Newbie...Clutch gone on 78 MGB MG 17
P TR2/3/3A TR3 Clutch Bleeding Problem Triumph 10
T Spitfire Clutch fork and hydraulic cylinders Triumph 3
Got_All_4 TR6 Which Clutch Master Cylinder Fork is for TR6 Triumph 4
AUSMHLY BJ8 Clutch Pressure Plate, Old vs New Austin Healey 4
Lin Brake/Clutch Fluid Austin Healey 11
R TR2/3/3A Clutch Petal Adjustment Triumph 2
AUSMHLY BJ8 Clutch Fork Bush Replacement Austin Healey 5
KVH General Tech New Clutch Installation--TR4A Triumph 5
T Spitfire Spitfire MK2 Clutch Hydraulics Triumph 2