• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Would-be Healey owner

greenvarmint

Freshman Member
Greetings, fellow Brit enthusiasts! I am an old guy, living in Maryland (which has a lot of good roads for slow sports cars) and have sort of wanted to buy another Austin Healey 3000 for some years now. Sadly, the value of clean ones has climbed beyond what I consider reasonable.

In the 60's, I had a pristine '62, and then a few years later, and not-pristine '67. The '67 did have one significant attribute, however, and that was a rebuilt gearbox with perfect 2nd gear synchros!

After realizing that a 3000 in the condition I wanted would go for well over $60,000, I settled for a Miata, which while fun to drive, just doesn't have the visceral sensations delivered by a big Healey. Interesting anecdote: around 1970, a friend who had a new Datsun BRE 510 (then the model of lightweight, high revving precision) and I exchanged cars for test drives. Upon his return, his comment was "... it's like driving a ...…………………….. locomotive". Which I understood, compared to his club racer Datsun.)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF! Maybe one of these days you'll find a good driver (Healey) for a reasonable price. Have you ever considered some other Little British car, like Triumph or MG?