• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Demonstration of ABS vs non-ABS

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
anti-lock.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
GAH... I likely SNIPED it from YOU, then. Profuse apologies!

I came across it on my machine while hunting another pic and giggled, obviously forgot where it came from.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Hehehe... well, it was way back in August. :smile:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well then! That was eons ago. My Oldtimers' disease kicked in.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It surely was. There have been zillions of postings here at the forum between then and now. :rolleye:
Besides, I can never remember where I got something. Sometimes here and sometimes FacePlantโ€ฆ sometimes elsewhere.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mark said:
There have been zillions of postings here at the forum between then and now. :rolleye:

Not sure about the post count but the TIME past is more the issue. I can put a tool or other bit of kit down on a bench, and two minutes later it seems to have grown legs and run to Oz or some other dimension. Takes half an hour for it to mystically re-appear in some other space. It's diabolical, I tell ya!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Not sure about the post count but the TIME past is more the issue. I can put a tool or other bit of kit down on a bench, and two minutes later it seems to have grown legs and run to Oz or some other dimension. Takes half an hour for it to mystically re-appear in some other space. It's diabolical, I tell ya!

That is a phenomenon seen especially with tape measures and utility knives. I've been known to scatter both so there is usually :smile:wink-new:smile: one to be found.

Last edited:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The renegade 10mm socket that fell and went to the "Twilight Zone"!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
That is why it takes so long to finish these restorations. 50% of the time is spent looking for tools 50% of time trying to remember what you were doing before you stopped to find the tool.

That is my excuse. Then there are parts that walk off and hide in dark corners.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Even worse - the screw that falls into limbo, only to end up in your right front tire. I dropped a tiny headlight rim screw two days ago and never did find it on the concrete garage floor.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've found that one of Newton's Corollaries is that the tool or part dropped rolls/bounces/ricochets to the most inaccessible and darkest area under the car. Always just out of arms' reach.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've found that one of Newton's Corollaries is that the tool or part dropped rolls/bounces/ricochets to the most inaccessible and darkest area under the car. Always just out of arms' reach.

Yep - and if it's made of steel, it'll get wedged between two other, inaccessible, steel parts, where a magnet is useless.

(Happens when you're restoring ancient church organs too ...)

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

Ever walk into the kitchen and stand there wondering why you went in there in the first place?

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's like the Plinko game on The Price Is Right. You listen to it hit various things on the way down, and just hope the last sound you hear is the part hitting the floor. Then there's the sinking feeling when it bounces a couple times and stops, and you have no idea where it landed. I've spent more time that I care to admit hunting for dropped hardware. Can't start the engine until all the metal is accounted for.....

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One of my shop owner pals has a small roll-cab tool box stocked with various sockets, wrenches and other tools found in customers' cars, wedged in normally inaccessible parts of the engine bay. Calls it his collection of "cow tools".

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have quite a few tools I "acquired" under the hood of customer cars. Mercedes is a pretty good brand for finding other mechanic's lost tools because they have full belly pans under the engine. Anything dropped will likely rattle down and sit on the pan. The tool gods have delivered some nice 1/4" ratchets and multiple sockets, screw drivers, pry bars, picks, etc.

Unfortunately, the tool gods are cruel and taketh away about as much as they giveth.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ever walk into the kitchen and stand there wondering why you went in there in the first place?

We call that "Pondering the Hereafter". Translation: Wondering what I am here after.