• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Brake line

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm trying to replace the left rear brake line on my 1980 Spitfire -- the line that wraps around the brake plate and screws into the wheel cylinder. For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be a part carried by any of the usual suspects (Parts Geek, JEGS, Moss, Rimmer Brothers, and British Parts NW). I's not even available at Classic Tube. SpitBits sells it as part of a "kit," but it's quite pricey, and I only need that one tube. So I don't want to do that if possible. I talked with a guy on the East Coast at Team Triumph, and he's going to check, so I guess there's some hope there. Here are my questions: Does anybody know where I can get one of those? And if not, any suggestions? Thanks!

Triumph003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 80

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You can fab up your own if needed. Go to any auto parts store and get a section of brake line. If the male fittings on your existing line are still good, take the pipe to a decent repair shop and they should be able to put your fittings on the new line and flare the ends. The copper lines are easy to bend by hand and are easy to flare.

dklawson

Yoda
You can look for the many brake pipes on the AGS website:
https://agscompany.com/product-category/brake-fuel-transmission-lines/
They have the British lines in multiple materials and lengths... look for something close in length to what you measure on the car.

Some of these pipes are also available through Amazon. Once you identify the length and part numbers from the AGS website, search for them on Amazon using the format....
"AGS XXX3##" (You need to include "AGS" with a space in the part number... no wildcards, no dashes)
Where XXX identifies the line material, 3 designates 3/16" pipe diameter, and ## is replaced by the length in inches.
For example, AGS BLB308 is an 8" long, 3/16" diameter, steel brake line.

[h=1][/h]

OP
FlyingCat

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Great ideas! I went to that site. I'm thinking that could work. I just gave it a once over, but it seems like I can buy any length of steel pipe the width and length I need, with the fittings I need. So if I can't find the actual one on Amazon, all I would need do is bend the one I get from AGS, which I could probably figure out with the Internet. Am I seeing that right?

dklawson

Yoda
Were it me, I would remove the questionable pipe and measure it inch by inch using either a cloth (dress maker's) measuring tape or a string. You can usually tolerate a slightly longer pipe by moving the bends a bit. Bends can be made by any number of methods ranging from hand work around round objects to manual tube benders as shown in the HF link below.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-bender-3755.html

OP
FlyingCat

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I got the pipe off. It's 16" long and 3/16 wide, with a male fitting into the wheel cylinder, and a female fitting on the other end. I've found several places that are willing to sell me a tube bender. I'll check out HF and see who's the cheapest. It's just a question of flaring out the ends. Thanks!

OP
FlyingCat

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
That was the best advice of all. They had the part I was wanting, and for less than I would've spent making it myself (including shipping). Thank you!