• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 83 to 87mm Piston Considerations

Joel M

Country flag
When going from 83 to 87mm pistons, what modifications (if any) are required in parallel to ensure a good running engine? I would like to keep the intake manifold original and not chamfer or port the head, but am concerned this might be too restrictive for the increased capacity. I understand the higher compression ratio will result in increased heat and premium fuel may be required, but other than that are there any real concerns? FYI, I have a 3A with an early high port head. I do plan to convert to an electric fan/alternator/narrow belt, but everything else will be original.

Just a quick background - the engine was rebuilt about 15 years ago with 87mm pistons and setup on the frame without the body. It seemed to run hot during initial startup back then, and the engine has not ran since. Due to sitting such a long time, I recently disassembled to clean. If multiple other modifications will be required with the 87's, I will probably just get new liners and rings for my original 83's.

Joel

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've installed 87s with no other changes. Ran fine, no more overheating than with 83s. Unless there is some other problem, you should be fine. Yes, the stock manifolds won't give you all the power you could possibly get, but they will work well enough. Don't forget, the TR2 originally had smaller carbs and a more restrictive head (with 83mm liners).

tomshobby

Yoda
I installed 87mm liners and pistons in my 64 tr4. It still my favorite car ever.

Old 64 1.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Me too - from 83 to 87 in a TR3A. Nothing else changed, it's all good. I still run regular gas and get no problem pinging. Never overheated before or since.

...I understand the higher compression ratio will result in increased heat and premium fuel may be required...

Does this change increase the compression ratio?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Does this change increase the compression ratio?
Yes, a little, at least with the sets I've had. The larger bore gives you more displacement (each cylinder goes from 498cc to 547cc), but the 87mm pistons have the same height and flat top as original 83s. So the compressed volume remains substantially the same.

Compression ratio is (displacement + unswept volume) / (unswept volume), so if displacement goes up and unswept volume doesn't, the ratio goes up.

I can't find my notes from measuring a stock TR3 head (and they weren't all the same anyway); but if we assume the 8.5:1 number is correct with 83s and work the equation backwards, the unswept volume comes out 66.4cc. That would make the new CR 9.24.

OP
J

Joel M

Country flag
Thanks for the feedback all. I will just reuse the 87's.

I do have a somewhat related question. The County pistons have 4 very rough holes below the oil ring, that appear to be covered from inside the piston. Does anyone know the reason for these holes? The look of them makes me question the quality of the pistons, and wonder if they will last long term. I have only rebuilt a few different engines, but have not seen this anywhere else.

Piston Outer2.jpg
Piston Inner2.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Those holes are likely not blocked. They go up to the back of the oil ring, so that oil which is scraped from the cylinder by the ring is transferred lower down the piston skirt for lubrication. Sometimes they will just go inside the skirt to reduce/increase the amount of oil on the cylinder wall. Those pistons are just fine.

OP
J

Joel M

Country flag
That makes sense, although I don't understand why the holes look like they have been busted out. What kind of manufacturing method is that? I guess one that is cheaper than just drilling a clean hole.