• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Scuttle / front fender attachment

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Could someone please describe for me the shape of the lower section of the scuttle which the rear of the front mudguard attaches to.
The section on both sides of my car are not complete due to rust and damage. In remaking this section, I made it as I thought it should be but now checking the top rear of the mudguard that attaches to it, I am not so sure.
The original right hand scuttle section. The section I am concerned with is the bottom left section in the photo below.
IMG_1347.jpg
The section from the inside as I made it. I have not cut the vertical release to allow the mudguard bolt to slot into place at this point. The concern I have is the shape of the right hand side of this photo to match the left side in the above photo.
IMG_1348.jpg
The rear top of the right hand mudguard. I thought there would be two bolts to go into slots but the guard only has one rear bolt.
IMG_1346.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That large round hole at the top right hand side is the access to fit the one rear mounting bolt. You need blue tack in the 7/16 socket to hold the bolt while you try to fit it without it dropping to the bottom of the fender, i believe most don't go to the trouble of fitting that bolt?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I always install that bolt...

Anyway, I am a little confused about which panel you are working on specifically, but here are a bunch of that area. Hopefully one or two will show what you need.

2Z87Mn1.jpg

AnXUvp9.jpg

aToUeso.jpg

PoT2K9d.jpg

W627Jlv.jpg

5Z8NvVi.jpg

QWJBM9q.jpg

rRAiPS3.jpg

QZQVQJX.jpg

VkTMgre.jpg

OP
L

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
John, your first few photos above show what I am referring to. You welded in the patch on the right to recreate the right angled slot that takes the bolt which can be accessed via the hole in the interior kick panel.

What is the single slot on the left for as there is no corresponding bolt / nut on the mudguard?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Lionel, I have been reviewing all my pictures, and I cannot see any reason for that slot. It was factory, as it was included on both sides of the car in the same spot, but I do not remember any use for it. Possibly to give clearance for the wing rear, vertical mounting tab??

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I think that must be it. Once the vertical door-jam metal is added, that angled slot is in a perfect position to provide a relief to the vertical tab on the rear of the wing. Here are a few more pics. The last one shows how the tab relates to the door jam, once the jam is installed.

VLliOT7.jpg

BtXF4Jx.jpg

T65fHDm.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes John the top of the A pillar fits in that slot. I think the sloted hole for the fixing bolt could have been to allow for the bolt to be fitted into the fender before it is lifted into position probably to make it easier on the assembly line?

Graham

OP
L

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It all makes sense now. Just got to remember to cut the hole in my new kick panels to allow access to the bolt before I weld them in place.
Thanks for all the input guys.