• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Gauge/color wire ?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am adding two Lucas fog lamps. Anyone know the correct color and gauge wire I should be using? Source? Thanks, Kevin

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Kevin,
Be sure to install relays while you’re installing the fog lamps.
Rut

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the correct gauge and the source, Randall.

Rut, I know very little when it comes to putting in new wiring. I have the lights mounted where I want them. My next step was just getting the correct wire. Where would I get the correct relay, and what would I ask for? The purpose of the relay is to protect the light switch, correct? I was going to wire my Lucas fog light switch to my ignition switch, put in a fuse(not sure what amperage) and run the wire from my switch to my lights. How would you hook everything up?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks for the correct gauge and the source, Randall.

Rut, I know very little when it comes to putting in new wiring. I have the lights mounted where I want them. My next step was just getting the correct wire. Where would I get the correct relay, and what would I ask for? The purpose of the relay is to protect the light switch, correct? I was going to wire my Lucas fog light switch to my ignition switch, put in a fuse(not sure what amperage) and run the wire from my switch to my lights. How would you hook everything up?
Kevin,
Im a poor one to ask about electrickery! Bosch and Hella have very good reputations for relays and they take the load off the switch. I added a spot and fog to my MGB and followed the Moss diagram...I also added relays to the headlights for the same reason. Next up will be the wiper motor! https://www.mossmotoring.com/how-to-wire-drivingfog-lights/
Rut

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The way you have described powering the lights, the lights will be on whenever the engine is running or should I say when the ignition is ON, engine running or not....day and night.
:eek:....forget it. I misread your post....sorry

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My suggestion is to add a separate switch for the fog lights. If you use a relay, then I suggest getting power for the switch from the taillight connection at the headlight switch. That way, you can't forget to have the taillights on when running with fogs, but can run fogs without main headlights.

Almost any modern relay will work fine, IMO. I bought a dozen cheap relays on eBay some 20 years ago and they are all still working fine.

In this situation, I would say a relay is optional. It does let you wire as I've described above, and help extend the life of the original headlight switch.

But a simple automotive rocker or toggle switch can handle the current just fine, and will probably outlast the car. Your call.

After a bad experience some years ago, I'm allergic to a single fuse that can put out the headlights if it fails. I was blowing down a mountain when the lights suddenly went out (for no apparent reason, there was no overload). Could have been a lot worse, but I did have my preteen daughter in the car. So I now have separate self-resetting circuit breakers for each headlight. A single fusible link would probably be just as good.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
That wiring diagram works fine for what you want to do. Just take the white wire to the switch and connect it to the ignition switch. I wouldn’t even bother with a fuse in that wire it only goes to the relay really no load. This will not overload the ignition switch and will only let the lights work when the switch is on. Unless you use an illuminated switch there is no reason for the black ground wire to the switch.