Thread: Gauge/color wire ?

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gauge/color wire ?

I am adding two Lucas fog lamps. Anyone know the correct color and gauge wire I should be using? Source? Thanks, Kevin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Re: Gauge/color wire ?

Both the Stag wiring diagram, and Marcel Chichak's list of Lucas Wiring Codes give the color as red with yellow.

Original would probably have been 28 strand, roughly equivalent to 14 AWG.

British Wiring has it listed as available http://www.britishwiring.com/28-Stra...AWG-p/c128.htm
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Kevin,
    Be sure to install relays while you’re installing the fog lamps.
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the correct gauge and the source, Randall.

Rut, I know very little when it comes to putting in new wiring. I have the lights mounted where I want them. My next step was just getting the correct wire. Where would I get the correct relay, and what would I ask for? The purpose of the relay is to protect the light switch, correct? I was going to wire my Lucas fog light switch to my ignition switch, put in a fuse(not sure what amperage) and run the wire from my switch to my lights. How would you hook everything up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ichthos View Post
    Thanks for the correct gauge and the source, Randall.

Rut, I know very little when it comes to putting in new wiring. I have the lights mounted where I want them. My next step was just getting the correct wire. Where would I get the correct relay, and what would I ask for? The purpose of the relay is to protect the light switch, correct? I was going to wire my Lucas fog light switch to my ignition switch, put in a fuse(not sure what amperage) and run the wire from my switch to my lights. How would you hook everything up?
    Kevin,
    Im a poor one to ask about electrickery! Bosch and Hella have very good reputations for relays and they take the load off the switch. I added a spot and fog to my MGB and followed the Moss diagram...I also added relays to the headlights for the same reason. Next up will be the wiper motor! http://www.mossmotoring.com/how-to-w...ingfog-lights/
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The way you have described powering the lights, the lights will be on whenever the engine is running or should I say when the ignition is ON, engine running or not....day and night.
    ....forget it. I misread your post....sorry
    Last edited by poolboy; 11-13-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

My suggestion is to add a separate switch for the fog lights. If you use a relay, then I suggest getting power for the switch from the taillight connection at the headlight switch. That way, you can't forget to have the taillights on when running with fogs, but can run fogs without main headlights.

Almost any modern relay will work fine, IMO. I bought a dozen cheap relays on eBay some 20 years ago and they are all still working fine.

In this situation, I would say a relay is optional. It does let you wire as I've described above, and help extend the life of the original headlight switch.

But a simple automotive rocker or toggle switch can handle the current just fine, and will probably outlast the car. Your call.

After a bad experience some years ago, I'm allergic to a single fuse that can put out the headlights if it fails. I was blowing down a mountain when the lights suddenly went out (for no apparent reason, there was no overload). Could have been a lot worse, but I did have my preteen daughter in the car. So I now have separate self-resetting circuit breakers for each headlight. A single fusible link would probably be just as good.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not sure if this runs counter to the advice already given, but I found the wiring diagram helpful in this Moss article:

http://www.mossmotoring.com/how-to-w...ingfog-lights/
    Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
    1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
    1966 Spitfire MKII (1972-1975)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

That wiring diagram works fine for what you want to do. Just take the white wire to the switch and connect it to the ignition switch. I wouldn’t even bother with a fuse in that wire it only goes to the relay really no load. This will not overload the ignition switch and will only let the lights work when the switch is on. Unless you use an illuminated switch there is no reason for the black ground wire to the switch.
    "Age considers; youth ventures." Rabindranth Tagore
    1975 Spitfire

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your help!