Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BJ8 Float Level

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: BJ8 Float Level

I understand, and I think I agree with the observations about the desirability of equal fuel levels in the float chambers/jets in the SUs, but here is what I don’t understand: There is just no way that in the assembly of our cars, that the workers checked fuel levels. Instead, I expect that they simply bolted up carbs to the inlet manifold with float forks adjusted to 7/16” (or 5/16” if you want to believe that 7/16” has just been a perpetuated error). Somebody “may” have equalized the drop of the jets from the bridge, but it is more likely that they equalized the number of turns of the jet adjustment screw. Finally, I assume (I know that is always dangerous), although I do not have first hand knowledge since I never drove a brand new Healey, that the cars ran well off of the show room floor. If that is the case, are we making too big a fuss over the pursuit of precise tuning of our SUs?

This observation is a sincere question, and certainly not a criticism of those who have contributed to this Forum thread.

Lin
    1959 AN5 Bugeye - now with my son 😀
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1964 Jaguar MK2 - recently sold
    1969 MB 280SL - recently sold
    1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    I understand, and I think I agree with the observations about the desirability of equal fuel levels in the float chambers/jets in the SUs, but here is what I don’t understand: There is just no way that in the assembly of our cars, that the workers checked fuel levels. Instead, I expect that they simply bolted up carbs to the inlet manifold with float forks adjusted to 7/16” (or 5/16” if you want to believe that 7/16” has just been a perpetuated error). Somebody “may” have equalized the drop of the jets from the bridge, but it is more likely that they equalized the number of turns of the jet adjustment screw. Finally, I assume (I know that is always dangerous), although I do not have first hand knowledge since I never drove a brand new Healey, that the cars ran well off of the show room floor. If that is the case, are we making too big a fuss over the pursuit of precise tuning of our SUs?

This observation is a sincere question, and certainly not a criticism of those who have contributed to this Forum thread. Lin
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

This observation is a sincere question, and certainly not a criticism of those who have contributed to this Forum thread.

Lin
    The difference between tuning and super-tuning.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gotcha!
    1959 AN5 Bugeye - now with my son 😀
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1964 Jaguar MK2 - recently sold
    1969 MB 280SL - recently sold
    1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    You are very right Steve.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    "Although my float levels in both HD8s were the same at 7/16", the fuel levels in the jets were way different."

I'm curious as to why the fuel level in the jets would be so different if the fuel levels in the bowls are (presumably) the same. I suspect that violates some law of physics or hydraulics.
    The only way that makes sense to me is if the floats are different weights. Unfortunately, I don't have an accurate scale to measure the float weights.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Correct!
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Lin
    Doubt if the factory did any of the stuff we're doing and the cars ran just fine. SU probably set the float levels, centered the needles and screwed the jets down 3-1/2 turns and shipped them out to Abingdon. A bin of front carbs and a bin of rear carbs. Mick on the assembly line grabbed one of each and bolted them up.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Check out my galleries:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Lin/All--

Though I agree it is improbable that much fine tuning was done at the works I think it is likely that basic tuning was done at the dealers prior to delivery.

I wonder if anyone has access to an original retail invoice and, if so, whether there was any charge for "Dealer Prep"

Best--Michael Oritt
    1954 Austin-Healey 100 Le Mans
    1958 Elva Courier (FOR SALE)
    1959 Elva MK IV Sports Racer
    1961 Ginetta G4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Oritt View Post
    Lin/All--

Though I agree it is improbable that much fine tuning was done at the works I think it is likely that basic tuning was done at the dealers prior to delivery.

I wonder if anyone has access to an original retail invoice and, if so, whether there was any charge for "Dealer Prep"
    I thought "Dealer Prep" consisted of unloading it off the transporter.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Check out my galleries:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I thought "Dealer Prep" consisted of unloading it off the transporter.
    I think they also washed the salt water off.
    John, BN4

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

"... I expect that they simply bolted up carbs to the inlet manifold with float forks adjusted to 7/16” (or 5/16” if you want to believe that 7/16” has just been a perpetuated error) ..."

I've always used 7/16", and noted that setting kept the flat part of the float lever parallel with the bottom of the float cover. I think a greater or lesser setting might tend to jam the float needle in its 'barrel.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Spidell View Post
    "... I expect that they simply bolted up carbs to the inlet manifold with float forks adjusted to 7/16” (or 5/16” if you want to believe that 7/16” has just been a perpetuated error) ..."

I've always used 7/16", and noted that setting kept the flat part of the float lever parallel with the bottom of the float cover. I think a greater or lesser setting might tend to jam the float needle in its 'barrel.'
    That may depend on which kind of float lid and lever you have. According to Joe Curto (http://joecurto.com/su-float-bowl-covers) there are two types for HD8s. I have the later type.
    John, BN4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to John Turney For This Useful Post:

steveg  (02-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

A bin of front carbs and a bin of rear carbs. Mick on the assembly line grabbed one of each and bolted them up.
    I like Mick, I like Mick,

QUOTE: Though I agree it is improbable that much fine tuning was done at the works I think it is likely that basic tuning was done at the dealers prior to delivery. UNQUOTE.

I'm thinking back in the day the people at the Dealers probably wanted to put a little more personal interest in the cars before they let them go. But today, I suspect the attitude would be, 'Don't breather on the dang thing until it is back here for its 1st service interval .... or sooner.'
    About TV Shows-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    I like Mick, I like Mick,

QUOTE: Though I agree it is improbable that much fine tuning was done at the works I think it is likely that basic tuning was done at the dealers prior to delivery. UNQUOTE.

I'm thinking back in the day the people at the Dealers probably wanted to put a little more personal interest in the cars before they let them go. But today, I suspect the attitude would be, 'Don't breather on the dang thing until it is back here for its 1st service interval .... or sooner.'
    They'd at least have to drive them from where they were offloaded to the showroom. If they started and ran OK, I'd think that would be it.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Check out my galleries: