• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Convertible Top Fitting problems

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Recently I got around to fitting my soft top. I tried with an old top I had and it wouldn't stretch over the windshield to attach. I figured it was most likely old shrunken and stiff. I purchased a new soft top and the fit is exactly the same, as if the top is too small. I have the original top bow in excellent shape. If I put the top on without the bow, it will attach rear and front without issue.
But with the bow installed, even with the spring-loaded thing-a-ma-jigs pushed in, the top just won't stretch forward over the windshield no matter what I do.

I wonder if others have had similar problems?
Any ideas?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
BE Guy had a thread about Convertible Top Fitting in one or two episodes back. He provides some measurements from windshield to the top bow 11" IIRC but look for the article and see if it helps. Perhaps you've got the wrong top bow.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Fred,
I ran into the same issue and loosened the windshield mounting bolts which gave me the distance needed to mount the top. That might be the only time I ever put the top on!
Rut

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I actually have tow top bows - an original "solid" one and a two-piece item from a later sprite. Both are the same and fit the same (or not). I'm thinking it may work if I cut about an inch off the bottom of the bows (where they insert into the sockets on the body). That would lower the peak and give me some clearance. The only other alternative I see is trying to bend the bow but this wouldn't be very precise.

And Rut, I considered the windshield mounting but there really is no adjustment for the rake of the frame. Doesn't sound too practical to loosen the windshield mounting screws every time I put on the top!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Fred,
On my Bugeye the front windshield captive nut moves a pretty good bit and the rear mounting hole is a little larger than the bolt and it allows you to tilt the windshield and lock it down. I also use my side curtain frame as a ‘template’ to get the angle as close as possible.
Rut

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recommend that you let the car sit out in the sun for a few hours and it will get much more pliable and stretch easier. That is what I do.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I recommend that you let the car sit out in the sun for a few hours and it will get much more pliable and stretch easier. That is what I do.

I recently watched a video where the fellow (in a colder clime) put a heater in the car instead - worked equally well.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rut, it does seem like the windshield tilt could be the issue, in that the rear mounting and top bow are all fixed in position. However, I seem to remember having quite a bit of difficulty getting my windshield posts mounted to the body. It may have been that the stainless steel slotted screws I bought were a little too short when the thick gasket under the frame was in place. I can't remember for sure, but remember it was a pain.

I don't think warming the top will be enough to do it, its just too far off.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I bought a new top a couple of years back(Moss) and it is much more difficult to attach than my 50 YO one that just got too old. The old top was difficult to put on after it sat in a box for about 10 years but the new one is another thing. I used Rut's method of loosening the windshield a bit to get it onto the windshield and then retightening the screws. Also, always needed to install, both old and new, top with the moveable part of the bow in the "down" position and then sliding it up after top was secured to windshield. Letting it sit on the car over the winter maybe that will stretch it a bit. I never use it anyway as the car never sees rain.
I do have a thought that the windshield pads may be worn and changing the rake of the windshield.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I hardly ever use my top, but when I do it always starts out short about three or four inches short. I put the back part on over the top bow and let it hang there for a few hours in the sun and I then pull the corners with a pair of pliers and snap it on the two snaps on each corner of the windshield and then work the bar into the groove across the windshield.I am always amazed at how much bigger and longer it gets sitting in the sun.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wow, three of four inches more from heating in the sun surprises me. I'd say my front bar needs about another 1.5 inches or so to get over the lip of the windshield frame. Given the season, I guess heating in the sun will have to wait. I still think sawing an inch off the bottom of the bow might make it an easier fit. I don't want to chop up my original Bugeye "solid" bow (hard to find), but the split bow from the later Sprite could be a sacrificial lamb to my idea.

Before I do that, I'm gonna take Rut's advice and use my side curtain as a template for the windscreen rake.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would not cut anything yet. These tops are made to be tight fitting. I am afraid if you saw an inch off the bow when the top does get warm in the sun it will sag and flutter alot.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well if I keep my solid bow intact I'll have one for each season!

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Honest the sun will do miracles.
Don't put the hinged part up until you have the top on then have a second person sit by you in the car and then push the hinged unit up and lock it in place.
I use two rubber mallets to push it uo to avoid pinching my hands.

nomad

Yoda
Agree that this is the wrong time of year to try to fit a new top. I have one to fit and might turn up the heat in my shop and give it a try. Before doing anything that can't be reversed I'm going to make sure everything will fit.

Kurt

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It seems to me that over the last 20 years the materials for tops has become thinner and less stable.
and yes temperature definitely makes a difference in fit and how supple the material is seems the new ones are so thin that fasteners simple pull a lager hole when tuged On with aany force
i have an old Robbins top that it so much thicker it has been stored in a climate controlled room.even the edge trim is thicker.
if was to get a top for the bugeye ( not likely) it would be of good quality canvas I think.

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The top should be able to go on in the winter time, that's when its needed the most if ever.

nomad

Yoda
Well, Frank C would have agreed with you. He advocated a loose fitting top for that reason but its been my experience that most tops have shrunk before I try to fit them so that at least from side to side they need some stretching just to fit the header. Of course you are dealing with a BE so that isn't the problem. I think I would try Ruts suggestion. He is saying that perhaps the windshield will move back and can then be tightened in a better position.

Kurt

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well after fitting the side curtains, I determined that the rake and position of the windscreen was correct and is not the problem. There was no way that top was going on. So I bit the bullet and ended up sawing 1.25 in off each side of the top bow where it slips into the body slots. I did it step wise - 3/4 in, then 1 in, then 1.25 until I could finally get the top to stretch over the windscreen frame and attach properly.It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the result.
I figure I can always add spacers in the slots (eg. wooden dowels) if I need to raise it back up a bit in the summer.
I made the cuts on the non-original 2 piece bow, and for now I'm leaving my original one-piece bow unmolested and intact.

fullsizeoutput_4597.jpgfullsizeoutput_459a.jpgfullsizeoutput_4598.jpgfullsizeoutput_4599.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 111
Last edited: